Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue:2010, vol. 16, book 3
Subject Collection: Medicine
Page: 8 - 10
Online date: July 05, 2010
J of IMAB 2010; 16(3):8-10
YKL-40 – A NEW DIAGNOSTIC BIOMARCER FOR BENIGN BREAST DISEASES AND BREAST CANCER
Vanya Uzunova1, G. Paskalev1, Maria Kazakova3, E. Poryazova2, K. Murdjev1, A. Uchikov1, A. Iankulov1, Victoria Sarafian3, D. Manolova5, A. Paskaleva4, B. Hadjiev1, J. Grudeva-Popova6
1) Clinic of Thoracic and Abdominal Surgery, 2) Department of Common and Clinical Pathology, 3) Department of Biology, 4) Clinic of Dermatologic and Veneric Diseases, 5) Department of Diagnostic Imaging, 6) Department of Oncology and Haematology,
Medical University - Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Benign breast diseases encompass a wide spectrum of lesions, which raise a lot of questions about their classification, diagnosis, prognosis and surgical treatment.
The aim of this study is to measure the serum level of YKL-40 in cases of different groups of benign breast diseases, to compare it to the level of healthy women as well as to those with breast cancer and to examine its tissue expression after surgical treatment. We use it as a diagnostic marker and as a criterion for differential diagnosis.
Forty nine (49) patients with benign breast diseases and twenty (20) patients with breast cancer were examined. All of them had their serum level of YKL-40 measured preoperatively and its tissue expression examined immunohystochemically after the surgical intervention. There were significant differences in both concentration and tissue expression of this marker in patients with different groups of benign breast diseases and breast cancer. YKL-40 can be an important biomarker in the diagnosis and differential diagnosis of breast diseases.
Key words: breast, YKL-40, benign diseases, biomarker.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 199 KB/
Please cite this article as: Uzunova V, Paskalev G, Kazakova M, Poryazova E, Murdjev K, Uchikov A, Iankulov A, Sarafian V, Manolova D, Paskaleva A, Hadjiev B, Grudeva-Popova J. YKL-40 – A NEW DIAGNOSTIC BIOMARCER FOR BENIGN BREAST DISEASES AND BREAST CANCER. J of IMAB. 2010; 16(3):8-10. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5272/jimab.1632010_8-10.
1. Cintin C, Johansen JS, Christensen IJ, et al.Serum YKL-40 and colorectal cancer.Br J Cancer 1999, 79: 1494-1499.[ CrossRef ] [ Medline ]
2. Dupont J, Tanvar MK, Thaler HT,et l.Early detection and prognosis of ovarian cancer using serum YKL-40 .J Clin Oncol 2004, 22:3330-3339. [ CrossRef ]
3. Haagensen C.Diseases of the breast. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company; 1986.
4. Johansen JS, Christensen IJ, Riisbro R, Greenall M, Han C, Price PA, Smith K, Brunner N, Harris Al: High serum YKL-40 levels in patients vith primary breast cancer is related to short recurrence free survival.Btreast Cancer Res Treat 2003, 80:15-21. [ PubMed ] [ CrossRef ]
5. Johansen JS, Drivsholm L, Price PA, et al. High serum YKL-40 level in patients vith small cell lung cancer is related to early death.Lung Cancer 2004; 46: 333-40.
6. Johansen JS. Studies on serum YKL-40 as a biomarker in diseases with inflammation, tissue remodeling, fibrosis and cancer.Dan Med Bull, 2006;53:172-209. [ Medline ]
7. Johansen JS, Jensen BV, Roslind A, et al. Serum YKL-40, a new prognostic biomarker in cancer patients?Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006;15: 194-202. [ PubMed ]
8. Kim S., et al. Prognostic implications of immunohistochemically detected YKL-40 expression in breast cancer. Word Journal of Surgical Oncology 2007, 5: 1477-79.
9. Kim Sh, Das K, Shahla Norren S, et al. Prognostic implications of immunohistochemically detected YKL-40 expression in breast cancer.Word J Surg Oncol 2007; 5: 1-7.
10. Morrison BW, Leder P. Neu and ras initiate murine mammary tumors that share genetic markers generally absent in c- myc and int-2-initiated tumors.Oncogene 1994;9:3417-26. [ PubMed ]
11. Roslind A, et al. YKL-40 Expression in Benign and Malignant lesions of the Breast: A Methodologic Study. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2007; 15: 371-381 [ CrossRef ]
12. Roslind A, Johansen JS, Junkern et al. YKL-40 expression in breast cancer.J Clin Oncol 2005, 23: 9665.
13. Valagussa P. Her- 2 status: a statistic wiew. Ann Oncol 2001,12:s29-S34.
back to Online Journal