Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2008, vol. 14, book 1
Subject Collection: Medicine
Online date: September 24, 2008
J of IMAB 2008; 14(1):51-54
GEMCITABINE / PLATINUM VS. VINORELBINE- PLATINUM
IN PATIENTS WITH ADVANCED NON- SMALL- CELL LUNG CANCER
Department of chemotherapy, Oncological center, Medical University, Pleven,Bulgaria
Background: A platinum- based doublets
with a third- generation agents /Gemcitabine, Vinorelbine/ represent the
standard first- line treatment for advanced patients with non- small-
cell lung cancer /NSCLC/ and good performance status. Aim: The aim of
this study was to evaluate the two commonly used newer platinum- based
regimes in response rate and survival. Methods: In the period 2005- 2007
ninety- four inoperable patients with NSCLC entered the study. The treatment
schedule consist of Gemcitabine 1250 mg/m2 day 1 and 8 and cis- Platinum
80 mg/m2 with hydratation day 1- 46 patients /arm GP/ and Vinorelbine
30 mg/m2 day 1 and 8 and cis- Platinum 80 mg/m2 with hydratation day 1-
48 patients /arm VP/, every 21 days. Results: Overall response rate was
39% for GP and 32% for VP. Median survival was 10,3 and 9,8 months respectively.
Neutropenia was significantly higher in arm VP as was thrombocytopenia
on the GP arm. Conclusions: That data suggest that both regimes remain
reasonable choices for patients with advanced NSCLC with slight prevalence
Key words: Gemcitabine, Vinorelbine, Non- small- cell
lung cancer, Response rate, Survival.
1 Marino P, Pampallona S, Preatoni A, et all, Chemotherapy vs supportive care in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Results of a meta-analysis of the literature. Chest 1994;106:861–5
2. Non-small cell lung cancer collaborative group. Chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer: A meta-analysis using updated data on individual patients from 52 randomized clinical trials. BMJ 1995; 311: 899–909.
3. Bunn PA. Chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: who, what, when, why? J Clin Oncol 2002; 20: 23s–33s.
4. Ranson M, Davidson N, Nicolson M et al. Randomized trial of paclitaxel plus supportive care versus supportive care for patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000; 92: 1074–1080.
5. Baggstrom MQ, Socinski MA, Hensing TA, Poole C. Third generation chemotherapy regimens (3GR) improve survival over second generation regimens (2GR) in stage IIIB/IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a meta-analysis of the published literature. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2002; 21: 306a (Abstr 1222).
6. Yana T, Takada M, Origasa H et al. New chemotherapy agent plus platinum for advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2002; 21: 328a (Abstr 1309).
7. Kaye SB. Gemcitabine: Current status of phase I and II trials. J Clin Oncol 1994;12;1527-1531
8. Abratt RP, Bezwoda WR, Falcson G et al. Efficacy and safety profile of gemcitabine in non- small- cell lung cancer: A phase II study. J Clin Oncol 1994; 12; 1535- 1540
9. Crino L, Scagliotti G, Marangolo L et al. Cisplatin- gemcitabine combination inadvanced non- small- cell lung cancer: A phase II study. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15; 297- 303
10. Miller AB, Hoogstraten B, Staquet M et al. Reporting results of cancer treatment. Cancer 1981; 47; 207-214
11. Brimdage MD, Pater JL, Zee B: Assessing the reliability of two toxicity scales: Implications for interpreting toxicity data. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993; 85; 38-48
12. Kaplan EL, Meyer P: Non-parametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc 1959; 53; 457- 481
13. Crino L, Tonato M, Darwis S et al. A randomised trial of 3 cisplatin containing regimens in NSCLC. A study of the Ummbrian Lung Cancer Group. Cancer Chemotherapy Pharmacol 1990; 26; 52-56
14. Zamble DM, Lippard SJ: Cisplatin and DNA repair in cancer chemotherapy. Trends Biochem Sci 1995; 20; 435-439
15. Weick JK, Crowley J, Natale RB et al. A randomized trial of five cisplatin- containing treatments in patients with metastatic non- small- cell lung cancer: A Southwest Oncology group study. J Clin Oncol 1991; 9; 1157- 1162
- Download FULL TEXT (PDF - 262 KB)
Please cite this article as: Davidov D. GEMCITABINE / PLATINUM VS. VINORELBINE- PLATINUM
IN PATIENTS WITH ADVANCED NON- SMALL- CELL LUNG CANCER. J of IMAB 2008; 14(1):51-54. DOI: 10.5272/jimab.14-1-2010.51
back to Online Journal