Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2008, vol. 14, book 1
Subject Collection: Medicine
Online date: May 22, 2008
J of IMAB 2008; 14(1):3-5
FLOWCYTOMETRY IN LEPTOSPIROSIS
Galya I. Gancheva, Maria Atanasova , Tzvetan Lukanov*, Penka Ilieva
Department of Infectious Diseases, Epidemiology, Parasitology, and Tropical Medicine; *Sector of Clinical Immunology; Medical University, Pleven, Bulgaria
Differential count of leucocytes and six lymphocyte populations and subpopulations were investigated by flow cytometry in fourteen cases with leptospirosis. Marked granulocytosis and lymphopenia were found in 100%. The percentage of the monocytes was significantly decreased (mean 6,65%; 0,7 to 14,0%; sd 5,49). Immunophenotypization of lymphocyte populations and subpopulations by flow cytometry was revealed prevalent tendencies for decreasing of the number of total T-lymphocytes, T-helpers, T-suppressors, T-helpers/T-suppressors index; increasing of the number of the activated T-lymphocytes, subpopulation of NK cells (CD3-/ CD16+56+), and B-lymphocyte. These data are suggested that cell-mediated immunity plays a role in later stages of the diseases.
Key words: leptospirosis, immunogenesis, flow cytometry, lymphocyte subpopulations, dysregulation.
- Download FULL TEXT (PDF - 525 KB)
Please cite this article as: Gancheva GI, Atanasova M, Lukanov Tz., Ilieva P. FLOWCYTOMETRY IN LEPTOSPIROSIS. J of IMAB 2008; 14(1):3-5. DOI: 10.5272/jimab.14-1-2010.3
1. Hannet I, Erkeller-Yuksel F, Lydyard P, Deneys V, DeBruyère M. Developmental and maturational changes in human blood lymphocyte subpopulations. Immunol. Today, 1992 Jun; 13 (6): 215-218. [PubMed]
2. Klimpel GR, Matthias MA, Vinetz JM. Leptospira interrogans activation of human peripheral blood mononuclear cells: preferential expansion of TCR gamma delta+ T cells vs TCR alpha beta+ T cells. J Immunol, 2003 Aug 1;171(3):1447-1455. [PubMed]
3. Ko AI, Galvão Reis M, Ribeiro Dourado CM, Johnson WD Jr, Riley LW. Urban epidemic of severe leptospirosis in Brazil. Salvador Leptospirosis Study Group. Lancet. 1999 Sep 4;354(9181):820-825. [PubMed]
4. Mel’nik GV, Lebedev VV, Avdeev MG, Degtiar' LD, Korotaeva OA. [Clinical features and cellular immunity in patients with icterohemorrhagic leptospirosis]. Klin Lab Diagn. 1995 Jan-Feb;(1):29-31. [Article in Russian] [PubMed]
5. Yamashiro-Kanashiro EH, Benard G, Sato MN, Seguro AC, Duarte AJ. Cellular immune response analysis of patients with leptospirosis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1991 Jul;45(1):138-45. [PubMed]
6. Zidovec LS, Vince A, Rakusic S, et al. Center for Disease Control (CDC) flow cytometry panel for human immunodeficiency virus infection allows recognition of infectious mononucleosis caused by Epstein-Barr virus or cytomegalovirus. Croat Med J. 2003; 44(6):702-6.
back to Online Journal