Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2007, vol. 13, book 1
Subject Collection: Medicine
Online date: November 15, 2007
J of IMAB 2007; 13(1):71-73
GEMCITABINE/CISPLATIN CONTAINING CHEMOTHERAPY IN PATIENTS WITH STAGE III-IV NON SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER
Deyan N. Davidov,
Department of chemotherapy, Oncological center, Medical University - Pleven, Bulgaria
Backgraund: A two- drug platinum- based regimens is the standard first- line treatment for inoperable non- small cell lung cancer /NSCLC/ patients with perfomance status /PS/ 0-2. The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of chemotherapy combination Gemcitabine- cis-Platinum in patients with advanced NSCLC. Methods: Thirty-four patients with unresectable, histologically proven stage III/IV NSCLC entered the study. Chemotherapy consist of Gemcitabine 1250 mg/m 2 on day 1 and 8 and CDDP 80 mg/m 2 with hyperhydration on day 1 with repetition after 21 days until progression. Results: One complete response and eleven partial response was obtained. The main grade toxicity included neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, nausea/vomiting, neuropathy. Conclusions: Gemcitabine/CDDP were feasible and effective in stage III/IV NSCLC patients with 35.5% response rate and mild to moderate toxicity.
Key words: Gemcitabine, Non small cell lung cancer, Response rate.
- Download FULL TEXT (PDF - 542 KB)
Please cite this article as:
Davidov DN. GEMCITABINE/CISPLATIN CONTAINING CHEMOTHERAPY IN PATIENTS WITH STAGE III-IV NON SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER. J of IMAB. 2007; 13(1):71-73. doi: 10.5272/jimab.2007131.67
1. Marino P, Pampallona S, Preatoni A, Cantoni A, Invernizzi F. Chemotherapy vs supportive care in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Results of a meta-analysis of the literature. Chest 1994 Sep;106(3):861–5; [CrossRef] [PubMed]
2. Chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis using updated data on individual patients from 52 randomised clinical trials. Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Collaborative Group. BMJ 1995 Oct 7;311(7010):899–909. [PubMed]
3. Bunn PA Jr. Chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: who, what, when, why? J Clin Oncol 2002 Sep 15;20(18 Suppl):23s–33s. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
4. Ranson M, Davidson N, Nicolson M. Falk S, Carmichael J, Lopez P, et al. Randomized trial of paclitaxel plus supportive care versus supportive care for patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000 Jul 5;92(13):1074–1080. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
5. Baggstrom MQ, Socinski MA, Hensing TA, Poole C. Third generation chemotherapy regimens (3GR) improve survival over second generation regimens (2GR) in stage IIIB/IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a meta-analysis of the published literature. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2002; 21: 306a (Abstr 1222).
6. Yana T, Takada M, Origasa H et al. New chemotherapy agent plus platinum for advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2002; 21: 328a (Abstr 1309).
7. Kaye SB. Gemcitabine: Current status of phase I and II trials. J Clin Oncol 1994 Aug;12(8);1527-1531. [PubMed]
8. Abratt RP, Bezwoda WR, Falkson G. Goedhals L, Hacking D, Rugg TA. Efficacy and safety profile of gemcitabine in non- small- cell lung cancer: A phase II study. J Clin Oncol. 1994 Aug;12(8);1535- 1540. [PubMed]
9. Crino L, Scagliotti G, Marangolo L, Figoli F, Clerici M, De Marinis F, et al. Cisplatin-gemcitabine combination inadvanced non-small-cell lung cancer: A phase II study. J Clin Oncol 1997 Jan;15(1):297- 303 [PubMed]
10. Miller AB, Hoogstraten B, Staquet M, Winkler A. Reporting results of cancer treatment. Cancer 1981 Jan 1; 47(1):207-214. [PubMed]
11. Brimdage MD, Pater JL, Zee B. Assessing the reliability of two toxicity scales: Implications for interpreting toxicity data. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993 Jul 21;85(14):1138-1148. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
12. Kaplan EL, Meyer P: Non-parametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc 1959; 53; 457- 481
13. Crino L, Tonato M, Darwis S, Meacci ML, Corgna E, Di Costanzo F, et al. A randomised trial of 3 cisplatin containing regimens in NSCLC. A study of the Ummbrian Lung Cancer Group. Cancer Chemotherapy Pharmacol 1990 26(1):52-56 [PubMed]
14. Zamble DM, Lippard SJ: Cisplatin and DNA repair in cancer chemotherapy. Trends Biochem Sci. 1995 Oct;20(10)435-439. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
15. Weick JK, Crowley J, Natale RB, Hom BL, Rivkin S, Coltman CA Jr, et al. A randomized trial of five cisplatin- containing treatments in patients with metastatic non- small- cell lung cancer: A Southwest Oncology group study. J Clin Oncol 1991 Jul;9(7):1157- 1162. [PubMed]
back to Online Journal