Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2016, vol. 22, issue 2
Subject Area: Medicine
Published online: 18 April 2016
J of IMAB 2016 Apr-Jun;22(2):1111-1113
A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS BETWEEN THE RECOVERY RESULTS OF PATIENTS WITH HIP JOINT REPLACEMENT IN THE PERIOD OF EARLY REHABILITATION AT HOME (13-45 DAYS AFTER SURGERY)
Maya St. Krastanova , Danelina Vacheva, Anica Mircheva.
Department for Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation, Occupational therapy and Sport, Medical University – Pleven, Bulgaria.
Rehabilitation of the patients with Hip Joint Arthroplasthy is an indispensable part of the functional recovery. The purpose of this report is to track and measure the results of an applied complex rehabilitation program during the early post-surgery period in home setting (13-45 days after surgery) and to make a comparative analysis between the recovery results of patients who conducted a comprehensive rehabilitation treatment, and a control group of patients who conducted only early physical therapy and occupational therapy in the hospitalization in the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology.
Methods and materials: 152 patients (107 female and 45 male) aged between 22 and 84 with Hip Joint Arthroplasthy due to osteoarthritis or femoral neck fracture participated in the study, divided into two groups, according to postoperative behavior. The rehabilitation program consists of: kinesitherapy (positional therapy, isometric exercises, movement of the artificial hip joint within the allowed volumes, exercises for upper limbs and the healthy lower limb) and ergotherapy (ergonomic home environment adjusted to performing the daily activities of life). Patients in the second control group have conducted kinesitherapy and occupational therapy only in the early postoperative period in orthopedic clinic.
Results: Locomotion test and DAL test measurements were taken and the results for each patient were stored in a special patient file.
Conclusion: Ensuring an ergonomic home environment and independent practice of kinesitherapeutic and ergotherapeutic stimulate the recovery of the patients’ self-reliance significantly improve the psycho-emotional balance and self-respect, and serves as an important basis for the latter stages of rehabilitation.
Key words: endoprosthesis, hip joint, rehabilitation,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 702 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Krastanova MS, Vacheva D, Mircheva A. A comparative analysis between the recovery results of patients with HIP joint replacement in the period of early rehabilitation at home (13-45 days after surgery). J of IMAB. 2016 Apr-Jun;22(2):1111-1113. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5272/jimab.2016222.1111.
Correspondence to: Dr Maya Krastanova, MD, PhD. Clinic of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, University Hospital “Dr Georgi Stranski” Pleven; 8A, Georgi Kochev str., 5800 Pleven, Bulgaria; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Donatelli R, Wooden MJ. Оrthopaedic physical therapy. 4th edition, St. Louis: Churchill & Livinstone. 2010; 400-498. [Internet]
2. Dreinhöfer KE, Dieppe P, Puhl W. Conclusion: Where do we go from here?. In: Dreinhöfer KE, Dieppe P, Günther KP, Puhl W. (Eds.) EUROHIP: Health Technology Assessment of Hip Arthroplasty in Europe. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 2009. p. 145-146. [CrossRef]
3. Tivchev P, Kinov P, Jotov A, Asparuhov A, Takov E, Valeshkov J, et al. Arthroplastik of the Hip Joint. Sofia: BG Kniga. 2014; 37-57, 68-72 [In Bulgarian].
4. Iotov A, Rusimov V. [Current aspects in hip and knee joint replacement] [in Bulgarian]. Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation and Health. 2013; 12(2):3-15.
5. Ilieva E. [Features of rehabilitation and occupational therapy after hip arthroplasty.] [in Bulgarian] Physical medicine, rehabilitation, health. 2007; 6(4):14-18.
6. Ilieva E. Occupational Therapy in endoprosthesis. In: Topuzov I. (ed). Occupational Therapy. part II. Sofia: „Simel”, 2008, 193-220 [In Bulgarian].
7. Kisner C, Colby LA. Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations and Techniques, 6th Edition. FA. Davis Company. (October 2, 2012) 191-203; 643-686.
8. Karaneshev G, Venova L. [Guide to practical exercises in remedial gymnastics.] [in Bulgarian] Sofia: Medicina i Fizkultura. 1991; p.26-78.
9. Brander V, Stulberg SD. Rehabilitation after hip- and knee-joint replacement. An experience- and evidence-based approach to care. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2006 Nov;85(11 Suppl):S98-118; quiz S119-23. [PubMed] [CrossRef] 598-618.
10. Velkova D. [Health and social problems of the elderly people living alone in the villages.] [In Bulgarian] Dissertation. Pleven. 2000.
11. Vacheva D, Mircheva A. [Medical rehabilitation and occupational therapy of patients with hip joint arthroplasty] [in Bulgarian] Management and Education. 2013; 9(5):29-32.
12. Cook CE, Hegedus EJ. Orthopedic Physical Examination Tests: An Evidence-Based Approach. 2nd Edition. Pearson. (January 9, 2012) 93-99
Received: 23 February 2016
Published online: 18 April 2016
back to Online Journal