Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2016, vol. 22, issue 2
Subject Area: Dental Medicine
Published online: 08 April 2016
J of IMAB 2016 Apr-Jun;22(2):1099-1110
EFFECT OF ETCHING TIME AND ACID CONCENTRATION ON MICROMORPHOLOGICAL CHANGES IN DENTIN OF BOTH DENTITIONS
Natalia Gateva1, , Angela Gusyiska2, Pavel Stanimirov3, Rossitza Kabaktchieva1, Ivan Raichev2.
1) Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University - Sofia, Bulgaria
2) Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University - Sofia, Bulgaria
3) Department of Oral and Maxillo-Facial Surgery, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University - Sofia, Bulgaria.
Aim: to compare micro morphological changes in primary and permanent dentin after etching with phosphoric acid (20% and 37,5%) for 7 and 15 sec. by SEM.
Material and methods: The study included 42 primary and permanent teeth, divided into 8 groups by etching time and acid concentration. Enamel and dentin were removed from the vestibular area and after the expiration of etching time samples were washed with water-air stream and dried with light airflow. From each sample 10 magnified images were made from central vestibular area. The cleaning effect was measured in percentage, as a ratio between the numbers of uncleaned tubules to the total tubules. Results were analyzed with One-way and MANOVA. Post hoc Multiple Comparisons test – SPSS 19 was applied.
Results: The proportion of uncleaned tubules in primary teeth was higher than that of permanent teeth at acid concentration of 20%. At a concentration of 37.5% this relationship is reversed. At 7 sec there was a bigger difference between the share of uncleaned tubules for primary and permanent teeth, while at 15 sec this difference virtually disappears. The difference in the proportion of uncleaned tubules between the two acid concentrations at 7 seconds etching is significantly greater compared to the same difference between the two acid concentrations by etching for 15 sec.
Conclusion: Effectively removed smear layer and no precipitate was observed in primary teeth even at 7 seconds etching with 37.5% acid.
Key words: etching time, primary dentin, permanent dentin, smear layer, SEM, peritubular dentin,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 7156 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Gateva N, Gusyiska A, Stanimirov P, Kabaktchieva R, Raichev I. Effect of etching time and acid concentration on micromorphological changes in dentin of both dentitions. J of IMAB. 2016 Apr-Jun;22(2):1099-1110. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5272/jimab.2016222.1099.
Correspondence to: Assoc. prof. Natalia Gateva, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Medical University – Sofia; 1, St George Sofiiski str., Sofia, Bulgaria; E-mail: email@example.com
1. Pashley DH, Tay FR, Breschi L, Tjäderhane L, Carvalho RM, Carrilho M, et al. State of the art etch-and-rinse adhesives. Dent Mater. 2011 Jan;27(1):1-16. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
2. Eliades G, Watts DC, Eliades T. (Ed.) Dental hard tissues and bonding. Springer. 2005, Capter p.3-33. [CrossRef] , Capter p.89-122. [CrossRef]
3. Van Meerbeeck B, De Munck J, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Vijay P. et al. Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges. Oper Dent 2003 May-Jun;28(3):215-235. [PubMed]
4. Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Mattar D, Van Landuyt K, Lambrechts P. Microtensile bond strengths of an etch and rinse and self-etch adhesive to enamel and dentin as a function of surface treatment. Oper Dent. 2003 Sep-Oct;28(5):647–660. [PubMed]
5. Eick JD, Gwinnett AJ, Pashley DH, Robinson SJ. Current Concepts on Adhesion to Dentin. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1997;8(3):306-335. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Cardoso MV, de Almeida Neves A, Mine A, Coutinho E, Van Landuyt K, De Munck J. et al. Current aspects on bonding effectiveness and stability in adhesive dentistry. Austr Dent J 2011 Jun;56(Suppl 1):31–44. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Lenzi TL, Raggiob PR, Soaresc FZ, Rochad RdeO. Bonding Performance of a Multimode Adhesive to Artificially-induced Caries-affected Primary Dentin. J Adhes Dent 2015 Apr;17(2):125–131. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Bordin-Aykroyd S, Sefton J, Davies EH. In Vitro Bond Strengths of Three Current Dentin Adhesives to Primary and Permanent Teeth. Dent Mater 1992 Mar;8(2):74-78. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
9. Kilpatric NM. Durability of Restorations in Primary Molars. J Dent 1993 Apr;21(2):67-73.[PubMed ]
10. Koutsi V, Noonan RG, Horner JA, Simpson MD, Matthews WG, Pashley DH. The effect of dentin depth on the permeability and ultrastructure of primary molars. Pediatr Dent 1994 Jan-Feb;16(1): 29-35. [PubMed ]
11. Lenzi TL, Braga MM, Raggio DP. Shortening the etching time for etch-and-rinse adhesives increases the bond stability to simulated caries-affected primary dentition. J Adhes Dent. 2014 Jun;16(3):235-41. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
12. Neves AA, Coutinho E, Cardoso MV, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Current concepts and techniques for caries excavation and adhesion to residual dentin. J Adhes Dent 2011 Feb;13(1);7-22. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Toba S, Veerapravati W, Shimada Y, Nikaido T, Tagami J. Micro-shear bond strengths of adhesive resins to coronal dentin versus the floor of the pulp chamber. Am J Dent. 2003 Sep;16 Spec No:51-56. [PubMed]
14. Gоеs MF, Sinhoreti MAC, Consanis S, da Silva. Morphological Effect of the Type, Concentration and Etching Time of Acid Solutions on Enamel and Dentin Surfaces. Braz Dent J 1998 ;9(1):3-10. [PubMed]
15. Puppin-Rontani RM, Caldo-Teixeira AS, Sinhoreti MA, Correr Sobrinho LC. Etching time evaluation on the shear bond strength of two adhesive systems in primary teeth.Cienc Odontol Bras. 2004; 7(3):6-14
16. Shashikiran ND, Gunda S, Subba Reddy VV. Comparison of resin-dentin interface in primary and permanent teeth for three different durations of dentin etching. J Indian Soc Pedo Prev Dent 2002 Dec;20(4):124-131. [PubMed]
17. Torres CP, Chinelatti MA, Gomes-Silva JM, Borsatto MC, Palma-Dibb RG. Tensile bond strength to primary dentin after different etching times. J Dent Child (Chic). 2007 May-Aug;74(2):113-117. [PubMed]
18. Wang Y, Spencer P. Effect of acid etching time and technique on interfacial characteristics of adhesive–dentin bond using differential staining. Eur J Oral Sci 2004 Jun;112(3):293–299. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
19. Courson F, Bouter D, Ruse ND, Degrange M. Bond strength of nine current dentine adhesive systems to primary and permanent teeth. J Oral Rehabil. 2005 Apr;32(4):296-303. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
20. Johnson DC. Comparison of primary and permanent teeth. In: Oral Development and Hystology. Avery JA. Editor – BC-Decker Philadelphia 1988, pp.180-190.
21. Nör JE, Feigal RJ, Dennison JB, Edwards CA. Dentin bonding: SEM comparison of the resin dentin interface in primary and permanent teeth. J Dent Res. 1996 Jun;75(6):1396-1403. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
22. Osorio R, Aguilera FS, Otero PR, Romero M, Osorio E, Garcıa-Godoy F, Toledano M. Primary dentin etching time, bond strength and ultra-structure characterization of dentin surfaces. J Dent 2010 Mar;38(3):222-231. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
23. Bolaños-Carmona V, González-López S, Briones-Luján T, De Haro-Muñoz C, de la Macorra JC. Effects of Etching Time of Primary Dentin on Interface Morphology and Microtensile Bond Strength. Dental Materials 2006 Dec;22(12):1121-1129. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
24. Hosoya Y. Hardness and elasticity of bonded carious and sound primary tooth dentin. J Dent 2006 Feb;34(2):164-171.PubMed ] [CrossRef ]
25. Hosoya Y, Marshall GW. The Nano-Hardness and Elastic Modulus of Sound Deciduous Canine Dentin and Young Premolar Dentin - Preliminary Study. J Mat Sci Mat Med. 2005 Jan;16(1):1-8. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
26. Nör JE, Feigal RJ, Dennison JB, Edwards CA. Dentin Bonding: SEM Comparison of the Dentin Surface in Primary and Permanent Teeth. Pediatr Dent. 1997 May-Jun;19(4):246-252. [PubMed]
27. Berkowitz BKB, Holland GR, Moxham BJ. Oral Anatomy, Histology and Embriology. 3rd Edition, Mosby. 2002, p 102-116.
28. Angker L, Swain MV, Kilpatric N. Micro-mechanical characterization of the Properties of Primary Tooth Dentine. J Dent. 2003 May;31(4):261-267. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
29. Stalin A, Varma BR, Jayanthi. Comparative Evaluation of Tensile-Bond Strength, Fracture Mode and Microleakage of Fifth, and Sixth Generation Adhesive Systems in Primary Dentition. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2005 June;23(2):83-88. [ PubMed ] [ CrossRef ]&
30. Sumikawa DA, Marshall GW, Gee L, Marshall SJ. Microstructure of primary tooth dentin. Pediatr Dent. 1999 Nov-Dec;21(7):439-444. [ PubMed ]
31. Sardella TN, de Castro FL, Sanabe ME, Hebling J. Shortening of Primary Dentin Etching Time and its Implication on Bond Strength. J Dent. 2005 May;33(5):355-362. [PubMed ] [CrossRef ]
32. Elkins CJ, McCourt JW. Bond Strength of Dentin Adhesives in Primary Teeth. Quintessence Int. 1993 Apr;24(4):271-273.
33. Mahoney E, Holt A, Swain M, Kilpatric N. The hardess and modulus of elasticity of primary molar teeth: an ultra-micro-indentation study. J Dent. 2000 Nov;28(8):589-594. [PubMed ] [CrossRef ]
34. Suzuki M, Kato H, Wakumoto S. Vibrational Analysis by Raman Spectroscopy of the Interface between Dental Adhesive Resin and Dentin. J Dent Res. 1991 Jul;70(7):1092-1097. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
35. Marquezan M, da Silveira BL, Burnett LH Jr, Rodrigues CR, Kramer PF. Microtensile bond strength of contemporary adhesives to primary enamel and dentin. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2007 Winter;32(2):127–132. [PubMed]
36. Soares FZ, Rocha Rde O, Raggio DP, Sadek FT, Cardoso PE. Microtensile bond strength of different adhesive systems to primary and permanent dentin. Pediatr Dent. 2005 Nov-Dec;27(6):457–462. [PubMed]
37. Ayad MF, Rosenstiel SF, Hassan MM. Surface roughness of dentin after tooth preparation with different rotary instrumentation. J Prosthet Dent. 1996 Feb;75(2):122-28. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
38. Martinez-Insua A, Da Silva Dominguez L, Rivera FG, Santana-Penin UA. Differences in bonding to acid etched or Er:YAG laser treated enamel and dentin surface. J Prosthet Dent. 2000 Sep;84(3):280-288. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
39. Olmez A, Oztas N, Basak F, Erdal S. Comparison of the resin-dentin interface in primary and permanent teeth. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 1998 Summer;22(4):293-298. [PubMed]
40. Pashley DH, Tao L, Boyd L, King GE, Horner JA. Scanning electron microscopy of the substructure of smear layer in human dentine. Arch Oral Biol. 1988; 33(4):265-270. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
41. Tagami J, Tao L, Pashley DH, Hosoda H, Sano H. Effects of high-speed cutting on dentin permeability and bonding. Dent Mater. 1991 Oct;7(4):234-239. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
42. Wang Y, Spencer P. Analysis of Acid-Treated Dentin Smear Debris and Smear Layers Using Confocal Raman Microspectroscopy. J Biomed Mater Res. 2002 May;60(2):300-308. [PubMed]
43. White GJ, Beech D, Tyas MJ. Dentin smear layer: an asset or a liability for bonding? Dent Mater 1989 Nov;5(6):379-383. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
44. Cehreli ZC, Akca T. Effect of Dentinal Tubule Orientation on the Microtensile Bond Strength to Primary Dentin. J Dent Child (Chic). 2003 May-Aug;70(2):139-144. [PubMed]
45. Pashley DH, Carvalho RM. Dentine Permeability and Dentine Adhesion. J Dent 1997 Sep;25(5):355-372.PubMed ] [CrossRef ]
46. Pashley DH, Livingston MJ, Reeder OW, Horner J. Effects of the degree of tubule occlusion on the permeability of human dentin in vitro. Arch Oral Biol. 1978; 23(12):1127-1133. [PubMed]
47. Kaaden C, Powers JM, Friedl KH, Schmalz G. Bond strength of self-etching adhesives to dental hard tissues. Clinic Oral Invest. 2002 Sep;6(3):155-60.PubMed ] [CrossRef ]
48. Kaaden C, Schmalz G, Powers JM. Morphological Characterization of the Resin-Dentin Interface in Primary Teeth. Clinic Oral Invest. 2003 Dec;7(4):235-240. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
49. Bouillaguet S. Biological risks of resin-based materials to the dentin-pulp complex. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2004 Jan;15(1):47-60. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
50. Hashimoto M, Ohno H, Endo K, Kaga M, Sano H, Oguchi H. The effect of hybrid layer thickness on bond strength: demineralized dentin zone of hybrid layer. Dent Mater. 2000 Nov;16(6):406-411. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
51. Sano H, Shono T, Takatsu T, Hosoda H. Microporous Dentin Zone beneath Resin-Impregnated Layer. Oper Dent. 1994 Mar-Apr;19(2):59-64. [PubMed]
52. Nakornchai S, Harnirattisai C, Surarit R, Thiradilok S. Microtensile bond strength of a total-etching versus self-etching adhesive to caries affected and intact dentin in primary teeth. J Am Dent Assoc. 2005 Apr;136(4):477-483. [PubMed]
53. Sattabanasuk V, Shimada Y, Tagami J. The bond of resin to different dentin surface characteristics. Oper Dent. 2004 May-Jun;29(3):333-341. [PubMed]
54. Assakawa T, Manabe A, Itoh K, Inoue M, Hisamitu H. Sasa R. Efficacy of dentin adhesives in primary and permanent teeth. J Clin Ped Dent. 2001 Spring;25(3):231-236. [PubMed]
55. Casagrande L, De Hipolito V, De Goes MF, de Araujo FB. Bond strength and interfacial morphology of two adhesive systems to deciduous dentin: in vitro study. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2005 Summer;29(4):317-322. [PubMed]..
Received: 08 January 2016
Published online: 08 April 2016
back to Online Journal