Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2016, vol. 22, issue 1
Subject Area: Medicine
Published online: 25 March 2016
J of IMAB 2016 Jan-Mar;22(1):1078-1082
POSTOPERATIVE AND CANCER PAIN NEED PROPER ANALGESIA
Nikolay Yanev1, , Mila Vlaskovska2
1) University Hospital of Maxillo-Facial Surgery, Sofia, Bulgaria
2) Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical Faculty, Medical University of Sofia, Bulgaria.
The authors surveyed the clinical data and reviewed the literature on the management of post-operative and cancer pain. The conclusion was made that pain management during post-operative period or in status of advanced cancer necessitates effective pharmacotherapy with non-opioid and opioid analgesics. Data for pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of widely used analgesic drugs are listed. The authors provide practical guidelines for the management of post-operative and cancer pain in clinical wards as well as in outpatients departments.
Key words: post-operative pain, cancer pain, pain management, opioids, non-opioid analgesics, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 559 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Yanev N, Vlaskovska M. POSTOPERATIVE AND CANCER PAIN NEED PROPER ANALGESIA. J of IMAB. 2016 Jan-Mar;22(1):1078-1082. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5272/jimab.2016221.1078.
Correspondence to: Nikolay Yanev, DMD, MD, PhD, University Hospital of Maxillo-Facial Surgery; 1, St. Georgy Sofiiski blvd., Sofia, Bulgaria; E-mail: email@example.com
1. Apfelbaum JL, Chen C, Mehta SS, Gan TJ. Postoperative pain experience: results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanaged. Anesth Analg. 2003 Aug;97(2):534-40. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
2. Woolf CJ, Salteг МW. Neuгonal plasticity: incгeasing the gain of pain. Science. 2000 Jun;288(5472):1765-9. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
3. Dahl JВ, Kehlet Н. Postoperative pain and its management. In: Wall & Melzack's Textbook of Pain. McMahon SB, Kolzenbuгg M. (Eds.), 6th Edition. Elsevier, NY. 2014 р. 61-77.
4. Collins SL, Мооге RA, McQuay НJ. The visual analogue pain intensity scale: what is moderate pain in millimeters? Pain. 1997 Aug;72(1-2):95-97. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Zahn PK, Pogatzki EM, Brennan TJ. Mechanisms for pain caused by incisions. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2002 Sep-Oct;27(5):514-6. [PubMed]
6. Kawamata М, Watanabe Н, Nishikawa К. Different mechanisms of development and maintenance of experimental incision-induced hyperalgesia in human skin. Anethesiol. 2002;97:550-559.
7. Pedersen JL Inflammatory pain in experimental burns in man. Dan Med Bull. 2000 Jun;47(3):168-95. [PubMed]
8. Sarkar S, Aziz Q, Woolf CJ, ;Hobson AR, Thompson DG. Contribution of central sensitisation to the development of non-cardiac chest pain. Lancet. 2000 Sep;356(9236):1154-9. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
9. Ilkjaer S, Bach LF, Nielsen PA, Wernberg M, Dahl JB. Effect of preoperative oral dextromethorphan on immediate and late postoperative pain and hyperalgesia after total abdominal hysterectomy. Pain. 2000 May;86(1-2):19-24. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
10. Dolin SJ, Cashman JN, Bland JМ. Effectiveness of acute postoperative pain management: Evidence from pubIished data. Вr J Anaesthes. 2002 Sep;89(3):409-23. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
11. Woolf СJ, Мах МВ. Mechanism-based pain diagnosis: issues for analgesic drug development. Anesthesiology. 2001 Jul;95(1):241-9. [PubMed]
12. Edwards JЕ, McQuay НJ, Мооrе RА. Combination analgesic efficacy: individual patient data meta-analysis of single - dose oral tramadol plus acetaminophen in acute postoperative pain. J Pain Symptom Managem. 2002 Feb;23(2):121–130. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Kehlet H. Approach to the patient with postoperative pain. In: American College of Surgeons (ASC): Principles and practice 2, New York; WebMD; 2002:1-14.
14. Walder B, Schafer M, Henzi I, Tramèr MR. Efficacy and safety of patient-controlled opioid analgesia for acute postoperative pain. А quantitative systemic review. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2001 Aug;45(7):795-804. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
15. Rodgers А, Walker N, Schug S, McKee A, Kehlet H, van Zundert A, et al. .Reduction of postoperative mortality and morbidity with epidural оr spinal anaesthesia: results from overview of randomized trials. Вr Med J. 2000 Dec 16;321(7275):1493. [PubMed] [CrossRef].
Received: 22 December 2015
Published online: 25 March 2016
back to Online Journal