Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2016, vol. 22, issue 1
Subject Area: Medicine
Published online: 16 March 2016
J of IMAB 2016 Jan-Mar;22(1):1045-1049
PROGNOSTIC FACTORS FOR SURVIVAL IN PATIENTS WITH METASTATIC RENAL CELL CARCINOMA TREATED WITH CHEMOTHERAPY
Department of Medical Oncology, UMHAT- Dr. G. Stranski, Medical University, Pleven, Bulgaria.
Objective: The aim of this study was to investigate the prognostic significance for survival of certain clinical and pathological factors in patients with advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC) treated with chemotherapy.
Methods: From 1990 to 2009 sixty seven consecutive patients with mRCC, treated in UMHAT- Dr. G. Stranski, Department of Medical Oncology entered the study. Parameters including some patients characteristics, hematological and pathological parameters, were evaluated for their role as predictors of overall survival. The therapeutic regimens included Interferon- alpha or Medroxyprogesterone acetat. Survival analysis was evaluated by Kaplan- Meier test. The influence of pretreatment characteristics as prognostic factor for survival was analyzed using multivariate stepwise Cox regression analyses.
Results: Variables significantly associated with overall survival univariate analysis were performance status >1, thrombocytosis, anemia and number of metastatic sites >1. In multivariate analysis as independent poor prognostic factors were identified poor performance status and multiple sites of metastasis.
Conclusion: These results indicated that performance status, presence of elevated platelet counts or anemia as well as well as multiple site of metastasis could be useful prognostic factors in patients with mRCC.
Key words: Prognostic factors, Metastatic renal cell carcinoma, Survival,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 502 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Davidov D. Prognostic Factors for Survival in Patients with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Treated with Chemotherapy.. J of IMAB. 2016 Jan-Mar;22(1):1045-1049.
Correspondence to: Dr Deyan Davidov, Department of Medical Oncology, Medical University, Pleven; 1, "St. Kliment Ohridsky" Str., 5000 Pleven, Bulgaria; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin. 2013 Jan-Feb;63(1):11-30. [CrossRef]
2. Ljungberg B, Cowan NC, Hanbury DC, Hora M, Kuczyk MA, Merseburger AS, et al. EAU guidelines on renal cell carcinoma: the 2010 update. Eur Urol. 2010 Sep;58(3):398- 406. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
3. Lam JS, Shvarts O, Leppert JT, Figlin RA, Belldegrun AS. Renal cell carcinoma 2005: new frontiers in staging, prognostication and targeted molecular therapy. J Urol. 2005 Jun;173(6):1853-1862. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Motzer RJ, Bacik J, Schwartz LH, Reuter V, Russo P, Marion S, et al. Prognostic factors for survival in previously treated patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2004 Feb;22(3):454- 463. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Motzer RJ, Mazumdar M, Bacik J, Berg W, Amsterdam A, Ferrara J. Survival and prognostic stratification of 670 patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 1999 Aug;17(8):2530- 2540. [PubMed]
6. Ficarra V, Novara G, Galfano A, Brunelli M, Cavalleri S, Martignoni G, et al. The ‘Stage, Size, Grade and Necrosis’ score is more accurate than the University of California Los Angeles Integrated Staging System for predicting cancer- specific survival in patients with clear cell renal cell carcinoma. BJU Int. 2009 Jan;103(2):165- 170. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Kaplan EL, Meier P, Non-parametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc. 1959; 53:457- 481.
8. Peto R, Pike MC, Armitage P, Breslow NE, Cox DR, Howard SV, et al. Design and analysis of randomized clinical trials requiring prolonged observations in each patient II. Analysis and examples. Br J Cancer. 1977 Jan;35(1):1-39. [PubMed]
9. Kattan MW, Reuter V, Motzer RJ, Katz J, Russo P. A postoperative prognostic nomogram for renal cell carcinoma. J Urol. 2001 Jul;166(1):63-67. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
10. Zisman A, Pantuck AJ, Wieder J, Chao DH, Dorey F, Said JW, et al. Risk group assessment and clinical outcome algorithm to predict the natural history of patients with surgically resected renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2002 Dec;20(23):4559- 66. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
11. Frank I, Blute ML, Cheville JC, Lohse CM, Weaver AL, Zincke H. An outcome prediction model for patients with clear cell renal cell carcinoma treated with radical nephrectomy based on tumor stage, size, grade and necrosis: The SSIGN score. J Urol. 2002 Dec;168(6):2395-400. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
12. Leppert JT, Pantuck AJ, Figlin RA, Belldegrun AS. The role of molecular markers in the staging of renal cell carcinoma. BJU Int. 2007 May;99(5 Pt b):1208-11. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Brassart E, Lebdai S, Berger J, Traore S, Bernhard JC, Fardoun T, et al. Overall mortality after radical nephrectomy in patients aged over 80 years with renal cancer: A retrospective study on preoperative prognostic factors. Int J Urol. 2012 Jul;19(7):626-32. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
14. Elson PJ, Witte RS, Trump DL. Prognostic factors for survival in patients with recurrent or metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Res. 1988 Dec;48(24 Pt 1):7310-13. [PubMed]
15. Leibovich BC, Cheville JC, Lohse CM, Zincke H, Frank I, Kwon ED, et al. A scoring algorithm to predict survival for patients with metastatic clear cell carcinoma: a stratification tool for prospective clinical trials. J Urol. 2005 Nov;174(5):1759-63. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
16. Negrier S, Escudier, Douilard J-Y, Ravaud A, Buclon M, Perol D. et al. Prognostic factors of survival and rapid progression in 782 patients with metastatic renal carcinomas treated by cytokines: a report from the Groupe Fransais d’Immunoterapie. Ann Oncol. 2002 Sep;13(9):1460-68. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
17. Finley DS, Pantuck AJ, Belldegrun AS. Tumor biology and prognostic factors in renal cell carcinoma. Oncologist. 2011; 16(Suppl 2):4-13. [PubMed]
18. Sun M, Shariat SF, Cheng C, Ficarra V, Murai M, Oudard S, et al. Prognostic Review. Eur Urol. 2011 Oct;60(4):644- 661. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
19. Sun M, Shariat SF, Karakiewicz PI. Factors affecting outcome in renal cell carcinoma. Curr Opin Urol. 2010 Sep;20(5):355- 360. [PubMed] [CrossRef].
Received: 30 November 2015
Published online: 16 March 2016
back to Online Journal