Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2015, vol. 21, issue 3
Subject Area: Dental Medicine
Published online: 07 August 2015
J of IMAB 2015 Jul-Sep;21(3):846-848
MASTICATION, PHONETICS AND ESTHETICS AS A FINAL RESULT OF PARTIAL OR COMPLETE DENTURE TREATMENT.
Kalina Georgieva, Iveta Katreva, Metodi Abadjiev.
Department of Prosthetic Dental Medicine and Orthodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University of Varna, Bulgaria.
Three target groups- dentists/ dental students, dental technicians and patients were asked to fill in an anonymous questionnaire about their satisfaction of the final results after prosthetic treatment with removable dentures using a scale from 1 to 5 (1- completely dissatisfied, 2-dissatisfied, 3-indifferent, 4-satisfied, 5-completely satisfied).
The mean results (including colour, shape and size of artificial teeth, arrangement of front teeth, colour of artificial gums, phonetics, mastication, natural smile, enough space for tongue) for all three groups of respondents were compared. Dental technicians (4,34) are more satisfied than dentists/dental students (3,62) and patients (3,53).
A successful outcome of prosthetic treatment depends on one hand on the professional approach of the dental team and on the other hand on the patient’s motivation and cooperation. The predictive final results and realistic expectations lead to satisfaction of all participants in the treatment process.
Key words: mastication, phonetics, esthetics, partial dentures, complete dentures, satisfaction,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 722 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Georgieva K, Katreva I, Abadjiev M. Mastication, Phonetics and Esthetics as a Final Result of Partial or Complete Denture Treatment. J of IMAB. 2015 Jul-Sep;21(3):846-848.
Correspondence to: Dr. Kalina Georgieva, Department of Prosthetic Dental Medicine and Orthodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University- Varna; 150, Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd., Varna, Bulgaria; E-mail: email@example.com
1. Friedman N, landesman HM, Wexler M. The influence of fear, anxiety and depression on the patient’s adaptive responses to complete dentures. Part II. J Prosthet Dent. 1988 Jan;59(1):45-48. [PubMed]
2. Jolov Tsv, Yaneva Kr, Bonev B. Satisfaction of Patients, Wearing Removable Prostheses. Problems of Dental Medicine. 2001-2002; 28:27-31[in Bulgarian]
3. Ozdemir AK, Ozdemir HD, Polat NT, Turgut M, Sezer H. The effect of personality type on denture satisfaction. Int J Prosthodont. 2006 Jul-Aug;19(4):364-370. [PubMed]
4. Brondani M. The voice of the elderly in accepting alternative perspectives on oral health. Community Dent Health. 2010 Sep;27(3):139-144.[PubMed]
5. Wakabayashi N, Yatabe M, Ai M, Sato M, Nakamura K. The influence of some demographic and clinical variables on psychosomatic traits of patients requesting replacement of removable partial dentures. J Oral Rehab. 1998 Jul;25(7):507-512. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Pavlova J, Uzunov T, Filchev A. Reasons for the duration of the adaptation period to complete dentures. Dental Мedicine. 2013; 1:49-56. [in Bulgarian]
7. Uzunov T, Pavlova J, Filchev A. Reasons for the duration of the adaptation period to removable partial dentures. Dental Мedicine 2014; 2:139-145. [in Bulgarian]
8. Peev T, Filchev A. Clinics of Prosthetic Dental Medicine. Eko Print, Sofia. 2008. p. 229. [in Bulgarian].
Received: 21 May 2015
Published online: 07 August 2015
back to Online Journal