Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2015, vol. 21, issue 3
Subject Area: Medicine
Published online: 05 August 2015
J of IMAB 2015 Jul-Sep;21(3):840-842
CURRENT TRENDS IN THE PRACTICE OF LABORATORY MEDICINE.
Emilia P. Georgieva1, Galina R. Petrova2, Todorka I. Kostadinova2, Stanislava Pavlova3.
1) Training and research sector “Medical laboratory assistant”, Medical College of Varna, Bulgaria
2) Department of Economics and Management of Health, Faculty of Public Health, Medical University - Varna, Bulgaria
3) Department of Health care, Medical University - Varna, Bulgaria.
The paper present the perspectives and the possible benefits of the POCT tests, conducted outside of the clinical laboratories. Laboratory tests are objective in their character, which is one of the main reasons for the constant increase in the number of laboratory tests.
The fast development of the technology in clinical laboratories, leads to the constant introduction of new markers, as well as the methods and equipment for the establishment of their values. Moving the laboratory diagnostics closer to the patient’s location (point of care testing) is a new tendency in the policy of health care. The tendency may be applied and is expanding, because of the fast development of biotechnologies. In a worldwide scale, POCT is essential for the public health care.
Key words: laboratory diagnostic, laboratory service, point of care test,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 626 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Georgieva EP, Petrova GR, Kostadinova TI, Pavlova S. Curent trends in the practice of laboratory medicine. J of IMAB. 2015 Jul-Sep;21(3):840-842. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5272/jimab.2015213.840
Correspondence to: Emilia Georgieva, Training and research sector “Medical laboratory assistant”, Medical College of Varna;
84, Tzar Osvoboditel Str., Varna, Bulgaria; E-mail: Emiliya.Georgieva@mu-varna.bg
1. Tzvetkova T, Danev S. Analytical principles and procedures in clinical laboratory. VAP 2001, Plovdiv. 69-88. [in Bulgarian]
2. Shishenkov M, Tomova-Dimitrova N, Genev S, Georgieva A, Katsarska I. Determination of glucose in capillary blood samples on abt glucometer 3000. General Medicine 2007; 2:76-78. [in Bulgarian]
3. Gilbert HC, Szokol JW. Point of care technologies. Int Anesthesiol Clinics 2004 Spring; 42(2):73-94. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Kashlova S, Boncheva M, Madjova V. Review of modern poct tests and systems General Medicine 201; 1: [in Bulgarian]
5. Larsson A, Greig-Pylypczuk R, Huisman A. The state of point-of-care testing: a european perspective. Upsala Journal of Medical Sciences. 2015 Mar;120(1):1-10. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Bontcheva M. Survey and analysis of the needs of clinical laboratory tests in general practice, [Dissertation] 2006. [in Bulgarian]
7. Mader FH, Vaysgerber H. General medicine and practice. Sharov, Sofia.2002. [in Bulgarian]
8. Tontcheva D. Medical Genetics in post-genome era. Genomic medicine. Sofia. 2010. [in Bulgarian]
9. Keffer JH. Economic considerations of point-of-care testing. Am J Clin Pathol. 1995 Oct;104(4 Suppl 1):S107-10. [PubMed]
10. Kost GJ, Sakaguchi A, Curtis C, Tran NK, Katip P, Louie RF. Enhancing crisis standards of care using innovative point-of-care testing. Am J Disaster Med. 2011 Nov-Dec;6(6):351-368. [PubMed]
11. Tran NK, Kost GJ. Worldwide point-of-care testing: compendiums of POCT for mobile, emergency, critical, and primary care and of infectious diseases tests. The Journal of Near-Patient Testing & Technology. 2006 Jun;5(2):84-92.
12. Egerer K, Feist E, Burmester GR. The serological diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis: antibodies to citrullinated antigens. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2009 Mar;106(10):159-163. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Kost GJ, Katip P, Corbin CM. Strategic Point-of-Care Requirements of Hospitals and Public Health for Preparedness in Regions At Risk. Point Care. 2012 June 1;11(2):114-118. [PubMed].
14. Howick J, Cals JW, CaJones J, Price CP, Plüddemann A, Heneghan C, et al. Current and Future Use of Point-of-Care Tests in Primary Care: An International Survey in Australia, Belgium, The Netherlands, the UK and the USA. BMJ Open. 2014; 4:e005611. [CrossRef]
15. Nosanchuk JS, Keefner R. Cost analysis of point-of-care laboratory testing in a community hospital. Am J Clin Pathol 1995 Feb;103(2):240-243. [PubMed]
16. Point of Care Search. Available from http://www.pointofcaresearch.com.
Received: 21 May 2015
Published online: 05 August 2015
back to Online Journal