Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2015, vol. 21, issue 3
Subject Area: Dental Medicine
Published online: 30 July 2015
J of IMAB 2015 Jul-Sep;21(3):826-829
COMBINATION OF APICALLY POSITIONED AND CORONALLY ADVANCED FLAP IN THE TREATMENT OF A COMPLEX MUCOGINGIVAL AND RESTORATIVE PROBLEM. A 3-YEAR FOLLOW-UP. (Case Report).
Kamen Kotsilkov1, Teodora Nedialkova2.
1) Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Sofia.
2) Post graduate student -Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria.
INTRODUCTION: The modern Periodontology has various approaches to achieve a complete functional and aesthetic rehabilitation of the mucogingival complex. These techniques include application of flaps with apical or coronal advancement in order to achieve different treatment objectives. Complex cases with different pathology on adjacent teeth require several surgeries thereby increasing treatment time and patient discomfort. New combined approaches are needed to meet the challenges of such cases.
OBJECTIVE: This report presents a case with a simultaneous application of a resective and a mucogingival technique in one dental sextant.
METHODS: I.C. (36) with a localized chronic periodontitis, Miller Class I gingival recessions (13,14) and subgingival caries lesions (15,16). A combined approach with simultaneous crown lengthening with apically positioned flap for 16,15 and root coverage with enamel matrix derivate and a coronally advanced flap for 14,13 was applied in order to avoid multiple surgical procedures.
RESULTS: On the third month after the surgical procedure a complete root coverage (13,14) was achieved. The crown lengthening procedure enabled the restoration of the caries lesions and the placement of new crowns (15,16). The result at the third year demonstrates a stable gingival margin with no recurrence of the gingival recessions.
CONCLUSION: The applied combined procedure led to a complete resolution of the existing problems with a single surgery.
The simultaneous application of different procedures seems a promising approach aimed to reduce the treatment time and to diminish patient discomfort.
Key words: resective periodontal surgery, root coveradge, combined treatment approach,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 1279 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Kotsilkov K, Nedialkova T. COMBINATION OF APICALLY POSITIONED AND CORONALLY ADVANCED FLAP IN THE TREATMENT OF A COMPLEX MUCOGINGIVAL AND RESTORATIVE PROBLEM. A 3-YEAR FOLLOW-UP. (Case Report). J of IMAB. 2015 Jul-Sep;21(3):826-829.
Correspondence to: Kamen Kotsilkov, Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dental Medicine; 1, Georgi Sofiiski str., Sofia, Bulgaria; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Zucchelli G. Mucogingival Esthetic Surgery, 1st ed. Rho (Italy): Quintessenza Edizioni S.r.l.; 2013. Chapter 2, Diagnosis of mucogingival defects; p 3-12.
2. Roccuzzo M, Bunino M, Needleman I, Sanz M. Periodontal plastic surgery for treatment of localized gingival recessions: a systematic review. J Clin Periodontol. 2002 Dec;29(Suppl 3):178-194. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
3. Cairo F, Nieri M, Pagliaro U. Efficacy of periodontal plastic surgery procedures in the treatment of localized facial gingival recession. A systematic review. J Clinic Per. 2014 Apr;41(Suppl 15):S44-62. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. McGuire MK, Cohran DL. Evaluation of Human Recession Defects Treated with Coronally Advanced Flaps and Either Enamel Matrix Derivative or Connective Tissue. Part 2: Histological Evaluation. J Periodontol. 2003 Aug;74(8):1126-1135. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Jaiswal GR, Kumar R, Khatri PM. Jaiswal SG, Bhongade ML. The effectiveness of enamel matrix protein (Emdogain®) in combination with coronally advanced flap in the treatment of multiple marginal tissue recession: A clinical study. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2012 Apr;16(2):224-230. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Oh SL. Biologic width and crown lengthening: case reports and review. Gen Dent. 2010 Sep-Oct; 58(5):e200-205. [PubMed]
7. Kina JR, Dos Santos PH, Kina EF, Suzuki TY, Dos Santos PL. Periodontal and prosthetic biologic considerations to restore biological width in posterior teeth. J Craniofac Surg. 2011 Sep;22(5):1913-1916. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Zucchelli G, Mele M, Stefanini M, Mazzotti C, Mounssif I, Marzadori M, et al. Predetermination of Root Coverage. J Periodontol. 2010 Jul;81(7):1019-1026. [PubMed] [CrossRef].
Received: 17 May 2015
Published online: 30 July 2015
back to Online Journal