Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2014, vol. 20, issue 3
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Published online: 19 September 2014
J of IMAB 2014 Jul-Sep;20(3):584-588
VARIATION OF MAXILLARY FIRST PREMOLAR WITH THREE ROOT CANALS.
Janet Kirilova1, Snezhanka Topalova-Pirinska1, Dimiter Kirov2.
1) Department of Conservative Dentistry, 2) Department of Prosthetic Dental Medicine, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University- Sofia, Bulgaria.
Background: Successful endodontic treatment requires effective biomechanical preparation of the root canals and three-dimensional obturation of the root canal system. This can be achieved only by knowing and identifying the variations in the root canal system of the endodontically treated teeth.
The Aim: The aim of this article is to present cases of endodontic treatment of maxillary first premolar with three root canals – different types.
Material and Methods: Five clinical cases of successful endodontic treatment of patients with maxillary first premolar and three root canals are described.
Result and Discussion: It is noted that good endodontic practice requires good knowledge of dental anatomy and possible variations, accurate X-ray images, as well as use of magnifying equipment.
Conclusion: Knowledge of dental anatomy is fundamental for good endodontic practice.
Key words: Root canal anatomy, three roots, three canals, maxillary first premolar,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 4739 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Kirilova J, Topalova-Pirinska S, Kirov D. Variation of Maxillary First Premolar with three root canals. J of IMAB. 2014 Jul-Sep;20(3):584-588. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5272/jimab.2014203.584.
Correspondence to: Dr. Janet Kirilova, Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University - Sofia; 1, St. George Sofiiski Str., 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Arizu HD, Alacam T. Diagnosis and treatment of three-rooted maxillary premolars. Eur J Dent. 2009 Jan;3(1):62-6. [PMC]
2. Karumaran CS, Gunaseelan R, Krithikadatta J.Microscope-aided endodontic treatment of maxillary first premolars with three roots: A case series. Ind J Dent Res. 2011; 22(5):706-8. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
3. Nica L, Ianes C, Florita Z. Root canal treatment of a three-rooted maxillary first premolar –a case report. Endodontic Practice Today. 2011; 5(1):63-6.
4. Vertucci FJ. Root canal anatomy of the human permanent teeth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1984 Nov;58(5):589-99. [PubMed]
5. Topalova-Pirinska Sn, Kirilova J, Pirinska Р. Radiographic investigation of root canal morphology of permanent premolars. Stomatologia. 2008: 90(2):98-103. [in Bulgarian]
6. Carns EJ, Skidmore AE. Configuration and deviation of root canals of maxillary first premolars. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1973; 36(6): 880-6. [CrossRef]
7. Ørstavik D, Kerekes K, Eriksen HM. The periapical index: a scoring system for radiographic assessment of apical periodontitis. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1986 Feb; 2(1): 20-34. [PubMed]
8. Kirilova J, Chaucheva B, Razsipyiska МG. The case with three canals of first maxillary premolar. Problems of Dental Medicine. 2009; 35(2):80- 2. [in Bulgarian]
9. Kuzmanova Y. Prospective application of the clinical and X-ray analysis in endodontics. Stomatology 1998; 80(1):63-68. [in Bulgarian]
10. Kumar A, Iftekhar H, Andrabi SM. Endodontic management of a three rooted maxillary first premolar. Guindent. 2012; 5(2):32-33.
11. Victorio FR, Men-Martins M. Maxillary first premolar with three roots. Case report. Dental Press Endod. 2013 Jan-Apr; 3(1):73-7.
12. Vier-Pelisser FV, Dummer PM, Bryant S, Marca C, Só MV, Figueiredo JA. The anatomy of the root canal system of three-rooted maxillary premolars analysed using high-resolution computed tomogaphy. Inter Endod J. 2010 Dec:43(12):1122-31. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Aggarwal V, Singla M, Miglani S. Evaluation of root canal anatomy of maxillary premolars in an Indian subpopulation using spiral computed tomograthy. ENDO (Long Engl). 2011; 5(2):119-24.
14. Sieraski SM, Taylor GN, Kohn RA. Identification and endodontic management of three-canalled maxillary premolar. J Endod. 1989 Jan;15(1):29-32. [PubMed] [CrossRef].].
Received: 07 July 2014
Published online: 19 September 2014
back to Online Journal