Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2014, vol. 20, issue 3
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Published online: 29 July 2014
J of IMAB 2014 Jul-Sep;20(3):546-549
CHANGES IN THE VERTICAL DIMENSION OF OCCLUSION DURING DIFFERENT PERIODS OF COMPLETE DENTURE WEAR - a comparative study.
Hrisdana Hadjieva , Mariana Dimova, Elena Hadjieva, Stefan Todorov.
Department of Prosthetic Dental Medicine, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University – Sofia, Bulgaria.
The exact determination of vertical dimension of occlusion is of great significance for the recreation of the functional, esthetical and prophylactic biological factors for the edentulous patients.
Authors aim was to establish the change in mm of the vertical dimension of occlusion by patients with different duration of full dentures treatment.
Materials and methods: 75 patients (44 women and 31 men) aged from 56 to 82 years, wearing complete dentures for 3 to10 years, were included in our investigation.
On all patients’ plaster casts were made baseplates from photopolymerizing baseplates (TRIAD VLC Custom, Dentsply De trey) and occlusal rims from temperature resisting pink wax (Modern Pink No3 Wax, Heraeus Kulzer, GmbH & Co.KG).
The numbers of measurements of the physiologic rest position for every patient were 10. After calculating the average value of measurements the result was minimized with 2.5 mm thus giving the vertical dimension of occlusion (VDO) for the new denture treatment.
Results and discussion: By 49 patients (65, 33%) the difference between the VDO with the old dentures and the new treatment was from 2 to 3.99 mm. By 17 patients (22, 67%) that difference was from 4-5.99 mm and by 9 patients (12%) - from 6-8 mm.
By all the patients the VDO had to be increased with 2-6 mm by the new treatment.
Key words: complete dentures, vertical dimension of occlusion, physiologic rest position,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 579 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Hadjieva H, Dimova M, Hadjieva E, Todorov S. Changes in the vertical dimension of occlusion during different periods of complete denture wear - a comparative study. J of IMAB. 2014 Jul-Sep;20(3):546-549. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5272/jimab.2014203.546.
Correspondence to: Dr. Hrisdana Hadjieva, Department of Prosthetic Dental Medicine, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University - Sofia; 1, St. George Sofiiski Str., 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Millet C, Leterme A, Jeannin C, Jaudoin P. [Vertical dimension in the treatment of the edentulous patients.] [in French] Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac. 2010 Nov-Dec;111(5-6):315-30. [PubMed]
2. Boyanov B. Determining vertical dimension of occlusion and centric relation. J Prosth Dent. 1970 Jul;24 (1): 18-24. [PubMed]
3. Fayz F, Eslami A. Determination of occlusal vertical dimension: a literary review. J Prosth Dent. 1988 Mar;59(3):321-323. [PubMed]
4. Greets GA, Stuhlinger ME, Nel DG. Comparison of the accuracy of two methods used by pre-doctoral students to measure vertical dimension. J Prosth Dent. 2004 Jan;91(1):59-66. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Hupfauf L. Totalprothesen. [in German] Urban and Schwarzenberg. Munchen, 1987, s.108
6. McEntee, M. Complete dentures. First Bulgarian edition. publisher Sharov, 2001; р.32. [in Bulgarian]
7. McGee GF. Use of facial measurements in determining vertical dimension. J Am Dent Assoc. 1947 Sep;35(5):342-50. [PubMed]
8. Peev T, Filchev A. Clinics of Prosthetic Dental Medicine. Eko Print, Sofia, 2008, 213-217 [in Bulgarian]
9. Strajnic L, Sinobad DS. [Application of cefalometric analysis for determination of vertical occlusion-a literary review.] [in Serbian] Med Pregl. 2012 May-June;65(5-6):217-22 [PubMed]
10. Winkler S. Essentials of complete denture prosthodontics / Sheldon Winkler and twenty-nine contributing authors. Philadelphia: Saunders. 1979. p.189-192.
Received: 30 April 2014
Published online: 29 July 2014
back to Online Journal