Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2014, vol. 20, issue 3
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Published online: 02 July 2014
J of IMAB 2014 Jul-Sep;20(3):529-532
UNUSUAL CASE OF A MAXILLARY FIRST INCISOR WITH TWO ROOT CANALS.
Janet Kirilova1 , Snezhanka Topalova-Pirinska1, Elitsa G. Deliverska2.
1) Department of Conservative Dentistry, 2) Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,
Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University - Sofia, Bulgaria.
Introduction: Maxillary central incisors usually have one root with one root canal. The cases with two root canals are extremely rare.
Purpose: The aim was to present an unusual case of a maxillary first incisor with two root canals and the methods of treatment.
Material and methods: The 48-year old patient had a painful swelling above the first maxillary incisor. The diagnosis was Periodontitis chronica granulomatosa diffusa exacerbata. After exploration of the pulp chamber, the inspection with an operating microscope was found two root canals. The lesion was covered to periapical and the part of marginal periodontium. The decision was taken of combined endodontic and surgery treatment.
Results and discussion: After 7-year follow-up, there was a healing of the lesions and no recurrence.
Conclusions: The combined endodontic and surgery treatment was successful choice for preservation of the tooth.
Key words: maxillary first incisor, two root canals,
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 631 KB/
Please cite this article in PubMed Style or AMA (American Medical Association) Style:
Kirilova J, Topalova-Pirinska S, Deliverska EG. Unusual case of a maxillary first incisor with two root canals. J of IMAB. 2014 Jul-Sep;20(3):529-532. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5272/jimab.2014203.529.
Correspondence to: Dr. Janet Kirilova, Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University - Sofia; 1, St. George Sofiiski Str., 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Brito-Junior M, Camilo CC, Silva ALF, Sousa-Neto MD. Nonsurgical endodontic management of an unusual taurodont maxillary central incisor: An 18-month follow up. ENDO. 2012 Summer;6 (2):139-42.
2. Cabo-Valle M, Gonzalez-Gonzalez, JM. Maxillary Central Incisor with Two Root Canals: an unusual presentation. J Oral Rehabil. 2001 Aug:28(8):797-8. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
3. de Almeida-Gomes F, de Lima Guimarães SNL, Maniglia-Ferreira C, Santos RA, de Vitoriano M, de Sousa BC. Two root canals in maxillary central incisor. RSBO. 2011 Jul;8(3):341-4.
4. Gupta B, Datta P, Datta S S. Management of Double Rooted Maxillary Central Incisor with Two Roots Canals. Indian J Dent Education. 2013 Jan-Mar;6(1):51-3.
5. Kavitha M, Gokul K, Ramaprabha B, Lakshmi A. Bilateral presence of two root canals in maxillary central incisors: A rare case study. Contemp Clin Dent. 2014 Apr-Jun;5(2):282-6. [CrossRef]
6. Niemczyk SP. Essentials of endodontic microsurgery. Dent Clin North Am. 2010 Apr;54(2):375-99. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Orstavik D, Kerekes K, Eriksen HM. The periapical index: a scoring system for radiographic assessment of apical periodontitis. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1986 Feb;2(1):20-34. [PubMed]
8. Sponchiado EK Jr, Ismail HA, Braga MR, de Carvalho FK, Simões CA. Maxillary central incisor with two root canals: A case report. J Endod. 2006 Oct;32(10):1002-4. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
9. Todd HW. Maxillary right central incisor with two root canals. J Endod. 1976; 2(8):227.
10. van der Vyver PJ, Traub AJ. Maxillary central incisor with two root canals: a case report. J Dent Assoc S Afr. 1995 Mar;50(3):132-3. [PubMed]
11. Velvart P, Peters CI. Soft tissue management in endodontic surgery. J Endod. 2005 Jan;31(1):4-16. [PubMed]
12. Velvart P, Ebner-Zimmermann U, Ebner JP. Comparison of long-term papilla healing following sulcular full thickness flap and papilla base flap in endodontic surgery. Int Endod J. 2004 Oct;37(10):687-693. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Von Arx T, Salvi GE. Incision techniques and flap designs for apical surgery in the anterior maxilla. Eur J Esthet Dent. 2008 Summer;3(2):110-26. [PubMed]
Received: 10 April 2014
Published online: 02 July 2014
back to Online Journal