Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Year: 2013, vol. 19, issue 2
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Published online: 20 March 2013
J of IMAB 2013; 19(2):279-281
CLINICAL EVALUATION OF THE HEALING PROCESS OF ORAL SOFT TISSUE SURGICAL WOUNDS STIMULATED BY LOW-LEVEL LASER THERAPY.
Hristina Lalabonova1, Elena M. Ilieva2
1) Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dental Medicine,
2) Department of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Medical Faculty,
Medical University – Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
During the past decades laser therapy gained much popularity in clinical practice. Low-level lasers offer alternative solutions to numerous problems in oral surgery.
Purpose: The purpose of the present study is to evaluate clinically the healing process of soft tissue surgical wounds in the oral cavity stimulated by low-level laser therapy (LLLT).
Materials and methods: One hundred and twenty surgical wounds were assigned to three groups:
Group I included 40 patients who underwent red spectrum LLLT with wavelength (λ) of 658 nm;
Group ІІ – 40 patients treated with infra-red LLLT with λ of 904 nm;
Group ІІІ (control group) - 40 patients without LLLT. In Group І and ІІ the LLLT procedures were applied 1 day before, in the day of and 1 day after the operation. Distant emission with a focused beam through an angled conical probe 3 mm in diameter (ø3mm) was used. The irradiated area is 0,5 cm2. The area of impact is the surgical wound zone and the neighboring 0,5-1,0 cm of the adjacent oral mucosa.
Results and discussion: The evaluation of the healing process included the following criteria: pain, edema, hyperemia, time for wound closure, postoperative complications.
Conclusions: LLLT applied with the offered treatment modality accelerates the healing process of soft tissue surgical wounds in the oral cavity, reduces treatment time and restores patients’ comfort.
Key words: oral mucosa, LLLT, treatment, surgical wounds, oral surgery.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 541 KB/
Please cite this article as:
Lalabonova H, Ilieva EM. Clinical evaluation of the healing process of oral soft tissue surgical wounds stimulated by low-level laser therapy. J of IMAB. 2013; 19(2):279-281. doi:10.5272/jimab.2013192.279
Correspondence to: Assoc. prof. Hristina Lalabonova, Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dental Medicine, 11, Opalchenska Str., 4000 Plovdiv, Bulgaria;
1. Broughton H, Jefferey E, Janis JE, Attinger CE. Wound healing: An overview. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006 Jun;117(7 Suppl):1e-S-32e-S. [PubMed]
2. Damyanov D. Surgery-Basis of the surgery, “Znanie”, Sofia. 2007, vol.I, 428p. (in Bulgarian)
3. Deppe H, Warmuth S, Heinrich A, Körner T. Laser-assisted three-dimensional surface modifications of titanium implants: preliminary data. Lasers Med Sci. 2005 Apr;19(4):229-33. Epub 2005 Feb 22. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Jakse N, Payer M, Tangl S, Berghold A, Kirmeier R, Lorenzoni M. Influence of low-level laser treatment on bone regeneration and osseointegration of dental implants following sinus augmentation. An experimental study on sheep. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2007 Aug;18(4):517-24. Epub 2007 Apr 19. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Kim YD, Kim SS, Hwang DS, Kim SG, Kwon YH, Shin SH, et al. Effect of low-level laser treatment after installation of dental titanium implant-immunohistochemical study of RANKL, RANK, OPG: an experimental study in rats. Lasers Surg Med. 2007 Jun;39(5):441-50. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Kotlow L. Lasers and soft tissue treatments for the pediatric dental patient. Alfa Omegan. 2008 Sep;101(3), 140-51. [PubMed]
7. Lopes CB, Pinheiro AL, Sathaiah S, Da Silva NS, Salgado MA. Infrared laser photobiomodulation (lambda 830 nm) on bone tissue around dental implants: a Raman spectroscopy and scanning electronic microscopy study in rabbits. Photomed Laser Surg. 2007 Apr;25(2):96-101. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Mosvin CV, Buylin BA. Foundations of laser therapy. Publishinghouse „Triada” Moskow, 2006, 256с. [in Russian]
9. Pinheiro AL, Cavalcanti ET, Pinheiro TI, Alves MJ, Manzi CT. Low-level laser therapy in the menagment of disorders of maxillofacial region. J Clin Laser Med Surg. 1997;15(4);181-3. [PubMed]
10. Ryazkova M, Kirova I. Physical therapy-general and special part. “ARSO”, Sofia, 2002, 46-49. [in Bulgarian]
Received: 14 January 2013
Published online: 20 March 2013
back to Online Journal