Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2013, vol. 19, book 1;
Subject Collection: Medicine
Published online: 28 June 2013
J of IMAB. 2013; 19(1):423-428;
THE METHOD OF BIPLANE DOUBLE-SUPPORTED SCREW FIXATION (BDSF) AT FEMORAL NECK FRACTURES - PRINCIPLE AND CLINICAL OUTCOMES
Department of Geriathic orthopedics, Vitosha Hospital, Sofia, Bulgaria.
The current work is given over to the particular purpose of revealing the principle and clinical outcomes of the novel method of Biplane double-supported screw fixation (BDSF), introduced in our Department of Geriatric Orthopedics in 2007. BDSF is a new method of internal fixation, designed to improve the internal fixation strength at intracapsular femoral neck fractures in the presence of osteoporosis, according to an original concept of the establishment of two supporting points for the implants and their biplane positioning in the femoral neck and head. The provision of two steady supporting points for the implants and the highly increased (obtuse) angle at which they are positioned, allow the body weight to be transferred successfully from the head fragment onto the diaphysis thanks to the strength of the screws, with the patient’s bone quality being of least importance. The position of the screws allows them to slide under stress with a minimal risk of displacement.
The method was developed in search of a solution for those patients, for whom primary arthroplasty is contraindicated.
Key words: femoral neck fixation; intracapsular fractures; osteoporotic fractures; hip; BDSF; F-technique;
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 1591 KB/
Please cite this article as:
Filipov O. The method of Biplane double-supported screw fixation (BDSF) at femoral neck fractures – principle and clinical outcomes. J of IMAB. 2013; 19(1):423-428. DOI: 10.5272/jimab.2013191.423.
Correspondence to: Orlin Filipov, Department of Geriathic orthopedics, Vitosha Hospital; 108-B Simeonovsko shose Str., Sofia 1700, Bulgaria
1. Asnis SE, Wanek-Sgaglione L. Intracapsular fractures of the femoral neck. Results of cannulated screw fixation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1994 Dec 01;76(12):1793-1803. [PubMed]
2. Lu-Yao GL, Keller RB, Littenberg B, Wennberg JE. Outcomes after displaced fractures of the femoral neck. A meta-analysis of one hundred and six published reports. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1994 Jan; 76(1):15-25. [PubMed]
3. Tidermark J, Ponzer S, Svensson O, Söderqvist A, Törnkvist H. Internal fixation compared with total hip replacement for displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly. J Bone Joint Surg Br.2003 Apr;85-B(3):380-388. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Blomfeldt R, Törnkvist H, Ponzer S, Söderqvist A, Tidermark J. Internal fixation versus hemiarthroplasty for displaced fractures of the femoral neck in elderly patients with severe cognitive impairment. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 Apr;87-B(4):523-529. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Rogmark C, Johnell O. Primary arthroplasty is better than internal fixation of displaced femoral neck fractures: a meta-analysis of 14 randomized studies with 2,289 patients. Acta Orthop. 2006 Jun;77(3): 359-367. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Gjertsen JE, Vinje T, Engesaeter LB, Lie SA, Havelin LI, Furnes O, et al. Internal screw fixation compared with bipolar hemiarthroplasty for treatment of displaced femoral neck fractures in elderly patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Mar;92(3):619-628. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Filipov O. Biplane double-supported screw fixation (F-technique): a method of screw fixation at osteoporotic fractures of the femoral neck. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2011 Oct;21(7):539-543. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Brittain HA. The low nail. Br Med J. 1942 Apr 11;1(4240):463-464. [PubMed]
9. Burns BH, Young RH. Early movement in the treatment of closed fractures. Lancet. 1944 Jun;243(6301):723-725. [CrossRef]
10. Küntscher G. [Fully automatic nailing of the femoral neck]. [in German] Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb. 1953; 84(1):17-28. [PubMed]
11. Garden RS. Low-angle fixation in fractures of the femoral neck. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1961 Nov;43-B(4):647-663.
12. von Bahr V, Syk B, Walheim G. Osteosynthesis of femoral neck fracture using screws. Acta Chir Scand. 1974; 140(4):277-282. [PubMed]
13. Walker E, Mukherjee DP, Ogden AL, Sadasivan KK, Albright JA. A biomechanical study of simulated femoral neck fracture fixation by cannulated screws: effects of placement angle and number of screws. Am J Orthop(Belle Mead NJ). 2007 Dec;36(12): 680-684. [PubMed]
14. Harris WH. Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty. An end-result study using a new method of result evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1969 Jan;51A(4):735-755. [PubMed] Modified, Canale ST, Beaty J. Campbell`s operative orthopaedics, 11th ed., Mosby 2007.
15, Hogh J, Jensen J, Lauritzen J. Dislocated femoral neck fractures: a follow-up study of 98 cases treated by multiple AO (ASIF) cancellous screws. Acta Orthop Scand. 1982 Apr;53(2):245-9. [PubMed]
16. Paus A, Gjengedal E, Hareide A, Jorgensen JJ. Dislocated fractures of the femoral neck treated with von Bahr screws or hip compression screw: results of a prospective, randomized study. J Oslo City Hosp. 1986 May-Jun;36(5-6):55-61. [PubMed]
17. Rehnberg L, Olerud C. The stability of cervical hip fractures and its influence on healing. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1989 Mar; 71-B(2):173-177. [PubMed]
18. Lindequist S. Cortical screw support in femoral neck fractures. A radiographic analysis of 87 fractures with a new mensuration teqhnique. Acta Orthop Scand. 1993 Jun;64(3):289-293. [PubMed]
19. Parker MJ, Tagg CE. Internal fixation of intracapsular fractures. J R Coll Surg Edinb. 2002 Jun;47(3):541-547. [PubMed]
20. Lykke N, Lerud PJ, Stromsoe K, Thorngren KG. Fixation of fractures of the femoral neck: a prospective, randomised trial of three Ullevaal hip screws versus two Hansson hook-pins. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003 Apr;85(3):426-430. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
21. Booth KC, Donaldson TK, Dai QG. Femoral neck fracture fixation: a biomechanical study of two cannulated screw placement techniques. Orthopedics. 1998 Nov;21(11):1173-1176. [PubMed]
22. Lagerby M, Asplund S, Ringqvist I. Cannulated screws for fixation of femoral neck fractures: no difference between Uppsala and Richards screws in a randomized prospective study of 268 cases. Acta Orthop Scand. 1998 Aug;69(4):387-91. [PubMed]
23. Madsen F, Linde F, Andersen E, Birke H, Hvass I, Poulsen TD. Fixation of displaced femoral neck fractures: a comparison between sliding screw plate and four cancellous bone screws. Acta Orthop Scand. 1987 Jun;58(3):212-16. [PubMed]
24. Elmerson S, Andersson GB, Irstam L, Zetterberg C. Internal fixation of femoral neck fracture: no difference between the Rydell four-flanged nail and Gouffon’s pins. Acta Orthop Scand. 1988 Aug;59(4):372-6. [PubMed]
25. Gurusamy K, Parker MJ, Rowlands TK. The complications of displaced intracapsular fractures of the hip: the effect of screw positioning and angulation on fracture healing. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 May;87(5):632-634. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
26. Mizrahi J, Hurlin RS, Taylor JK, Solomon L. Investigation of load transfer and optimum pin configuration in the internal fixation, by Muller screws, of fractured femoral necks. Med Biol Eng Comput. 1980 May;18(3):319-325. [PubMed]
27. Swiontkowski MF, Harrington RM, Keller TS, Van Patten PK. (1987) Torsion and bending analysis of internal fixation techniques for femoral neck fractures: the role of implant design and bone density. J Orthop Res. 1987; 5(3):433-444. [PubMed] ].
Accepted for publication: 05 April 2013
Published online: 28 June 2013
back to Online Journal