Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2013, vol. 19, book 1;
Subject Collection: Medicine
Published online: 10 June 2013
J of IMAB. 2013; 19(1):408-411;
THE HARMONIC SCALPEL APPLICATION IN THYROID SURGERY
Rumen Nenkov, Radoslav Radev, Ekaterina Marinova, Nikolay Cvetkov, Anatoli Semkov, Borislav Petrov
Department of Thoracic surgery, UMHAT "St. Marina", Medical University – Varna, Bulgaria.
New, modern devices for tissue resection have been introduced in the surgical treatment of thyroid diseases recent years.
Aim: To present our experience with the use of the harmonic scalpel in thyroid surgery.
Patients and methods: For the period 2008 - 2011, 1398 patients (6 to 74 years old) with various thyroid deseases were operated on in our clinic. The resection was performed through a classic Kocher,s collar incision in 583 patients, using minimally ivasive open access in 641 patients and with video-assisted technique in 174 patients. In all patients a harmonic scalpel device (Ethicon Endosurgery Care Inc) has been used. The length of surgical incision, use of haemostatic instruments and ligatures, extent of resection, need of draining, operative time, intra- and postoperative complications, length of postoperative hospital stay have been examined .
Results: The volume of resection ranged from istmusectomy to total thyroidectomy. During all operation haemostatic instruments and ligatures have not been used. Lack of bleeding and shortend operating time - up to 45% were found. The use of draining is significantly reduced, regardless of the extent of resection. There was no increase in the incidence of intra- and postoperative complications.Тhe postoperative stay was significantly reduced.
Conclusion: In our opinion, the introduction in use of the harmonic scalpel changes the face of modern thyroid surgery providing reliable hemostasis and shortening the operating time significantly.
Key words: Thyroid surgery, harmonic scalpel.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 882 KB/
Please cite this article as:
Nenkov R, Radev R, Marinova E, Cvetkov N, Semkov A, Petrov B. THE HARMONIC SCALPEL APPLICATION IN THYROID SURGERY. J of IMAB. 2013; 19(1):408-411. DOI: 10.5272/ jimab.2013191.408.
Correspondence to: Rumen Nenkov, MD, PhD; Clinic of Thoracic Surgery, UMHAT "St. Marina", Medical University, Varna; 1 “Hristo Smirnenski” Str., Varna, Bulgaria
1. Nenkov R, Radev R, Madzhov R. Minimally Invasive Open Access Thyoid Surgery - Main Point, Indications and Еffectiveness. Surgery. 2009 LXV(1):24-27. [in Bulgarian]
2. Bellantone R, Lombardi CP, Raffaelli M, Rubino F, Boscherini M, Perilli W. Minimally invasive, totally gasless video-assisted thyroid lobectomy. Am J Surg. 1999 Apr;177(4):342–343. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
3. Ikeda Y, Takami H, Tajima G, Sasaki Y, Takayama J, Kurihara H, et al. Total endoscopic thyroidectomy: axillary or anterior chest approach. Biomed Pharmacother. 2002 56 Suppl 1:72s–78s. [PubMed]
4. Miccoli P, Berti P, Bendinelli C, Conte M, Fasolini F, Martino E. Minimally invasive video-assisted surgery of the thyroid: a preliminary report. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2000 Jul;385(4):261–264. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Nenkov R, Radev R, Kuzmanov Y, Kornovski S, Kuzmanov S, Nanev B, et al. Argon plasma resection of the thyroid gland - nature and advantages. Surgery. 2005 LXI(3):19-22 [in Bulgarian]
6. Sartori PV, De Fina S, Colombo G, Pugliese F, Romano F, Cesana G, et al. Ligasure versus Ultracision in thyroid surgery: a prospective randomized study. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2008 Sep;393(5):655-8. Epub 2008 Jul 22. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. He Q, Zhuang D, Zheng L, Zhou P, Chai J, Lv Z. Harmonic focus in total thyroidectomy plus level III-IV and VI dissection: a prospective randomized study. World J Surg Oncol. 2011 Oct 31;9:141. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Siperstein AE, Berber E, Morkoyun E. The Use of the Harmonic Scalpel vs Conventional Knot Tying for Vessel Ligation in Thyroid Surgery. Arch Surg. 2002 Feb;137(2):137-142. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
9. Cordòn C, Fajardo R, Ramìrez J, Herrera MF. A randomized, prospective, parallel group study comparing the harmonic scalpel to electrocautery in thyroidectomy. Surgery. 2005 Mar;137(3):337-341. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
10. Ecker T, Carvalho AL, Choe JH, Walosek G, Preuss KJ. Hemostasis in thyroid surgery: harmonic scalpel versus other techniques--a meta-analysis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Jul;143(1):17-25. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
11. Foreman E, Aspinall S, Bliss RD, Lennard TW. The Use of the Harmonic Scalpel in Thyroidectomy: ‘Beyond the Learning Curve’. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2009 Apr;91(3):214–216. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
12. Markogiannakis H, Kekis PB, Memos N, Alevizos L, Tsamis D, Michalopoulos NV, et al. Thyroid surgery with the new harmonic scalpel: a prospective randomized study. Surgery. 2011 Mar;149(3):411-5. Epub 2010 Sep 18. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Miccoli P, Donatini G. Use of the Harmonic Scalpel in Thyroid Surgery - Review of the Literature. European Endocrine Disease. 2006:54-58.
Accepted for publication: 25 January 2013
Published online: 10 June 2013
back to Online Journal