Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X
Issue: 2013, vol. 19, book 1;
Subject Collection: Medicine
Published online: 04 April 2013
J of IMAB. 2013; 19(1):396-398;
SIGNIFICANCE OF VENOUS GRAFT DIAMETER AND LENGTH FOR PERIPHERAL BY-PASS PATENCY
Mihail V. Cheshmedzhiev, Emil D. Jordanov, Miroslav D. Yordanov.
Department of Vascular Surgery, St. Marina University Hospital, Varna,
Medical University – Varna, Bulgaria.
Objective: To analyze the one-year-patency of infrainguinal arterial reconstructions in relation to venous graft diameter and length.
Material and Methods: 56 patent and failed infrainguinal autovenous by-pass reconstructions were followed up for no less than a year. The diameter of the vein was measured at the site of distal anastomosis, and the length after the completion of reconstruction.
Results: Results are worse in venous grafts with diameter less than 3.5 mm and length over 40 cm, but the difference between failed and patent by-passes with diameter over 3.5 mm and bigger length is also significant. Shorter and with diameter over 3.5 mm by-passes have the higher percentage patency.
Conclusion: Shorter grafts with diameter above 3.5 mm do not guarantee longer patency if distal anastomosis is constructed above diseased run-off segment.
Key words: diameter, length, venous by-pass.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 563 KB/
Please cite this article as:
Cheshmedzhiev MV, Jordanov ED, Yordanov MD. SIGNIFICANCE OF VENOUS GRAFT DIAMETER AND LENGTH FOR PERIPHERAL BY-PASS PATENCY. J of IMAB. 2013; 19(1):396-398. DOI: 10.5272/jimab.2013191.396.
Correspondence to: Dr Mihail V. Cheshmedzhiev, Department of Vascular Surgery, St. Marina University Hospital, Varna, Bulgaria.
1. Budd JS, Brennan J, Beard JD, Warren H, Burton PR, Bell PR. Warren infrainguinal bypass surgery: factors determining late graft patency. Br. J. Surg. 1990 Dec;77(12):1382-1387. [PubMed]
2. Walsh DB, Zwolak RM, McDaniel MD, Schneider JR, Cronenwett JL. Intragraft drug infusion as an adjunct to balloon catheter thrombectomy for salvage of thrombosed infragenicular vein grafts: A preliminary report. J Vasc Surg. 1990 Jun;11(6):753-759. [PubMed]
3. Meyerson SL, Moawad J, Loth F, Skelly CL, Bassiouny HS, McKinsey JF, et al. Effective hemodynamic diameter: An intrinsic property of vein grafts with predictive value for patency. J Vasc Surg. 2000 May;31(5):910-7. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Wengerter KR, Veith FJ, Gupta SK, Ascer E, Rivers SP. Influence of vein size (diameter) on infrapopliteal reversed vein graft patency. JVasc Surg. 1990 Apr;11(4):525-31. [PubMed]
5. Idu MM, Buth J, Hop WC, Cuypers P, van de Pavoordt ED, Tordoir JM. Factors influencing the development of vein-graft stenosis and their significance forclinical management. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1999 Jan;17(1):15-21. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Gupta AK, Bandyk DF, Cheanvechai D, Johnson BL. Natural history of infrainguinal vein graft stenosis relative to bypassgrafting technique. J Vasc Surg. 1997 Feb;25(2):211-25. [PubMed]
7. Tangelder MJ, Algra A, Lawson JA, Eikelboom BC. Risk factors for occlusion of infrainguinal bypass grafts. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2000 Aug;20(2):118–124. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Slim H, Tiwari A, Ahmed A, Ritter JC, Zayed H, Rashid H. Distal versus Ultradistal Bypass Grafts: Amputation free survival and patency rates in patients with critical leg ischaemia. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011 Jul;42(1):83-88. [Pubmed] [CrossRef]
9. Donaldson MC, Mannick JA, Whittemore AD. Causes of primary graft failure after in situ saphenous vein bypass grafting J Vasc Surg. 1992 Jan;15(1):113–118. [PubMed] [
10. Harrington EB, Harrington ME, Schanzer H, Jacobson JH, Haimov M. The dorsalis pedis bypass - moderate success in difficult situations. J Vasc Surg. 1992 Feb;15(2):409–414. [PubMed] [
11. Schweiger H, Klein P, Lang W. Tibial bypass grafting for limb salvage with ringed polytetrafluoroethylene prostheses: results of primary and secondary procedures. J Vasc Surg. 1993 Nov;18(5):867-874. [PubMed]
12. Hobbs SD, Pinkney T, Sykes TC, Fox AD, Houghton AD. Patency of infra-inguinal vein grafts - effect of Intraoperative Doppler assessment and a graft surveillance program. J Vasc Surg. 2009 Jun;49(6):1452-1458. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
Accepted for publication: 21 December 2012
Published online: 04 April 2013
back to Online Journal