||Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2012, vol. 18, book 4
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Published online: 20 July 2012
J of IMAB 2012; 18(4):232-239
THE FIRST BULGARIAN STANDARDIZED SERIES FOR EPICUTANEOUS PATCH TESTING FOR ALLERGIES TO DENTAL MATERIALS AND ALLOYS
Maria Dencheva*, Iliana Stoeva**, Angelina Kisselova*, Assya Krasteva*, Bogdan Petrunov***, George Nikolov***, Rumyana Hristova***, Yordan Galabov*
* Department "Oral and Image Diagnostics", Faculty of Dental Medicine - Sofia, Bulgaria.
** Department "Image diagnostics, physiotherapy and allergology", Faculty of Dental Medicine - Plovdiv,
*** NCIPD - National Centre of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Bulgaria.
The teeth and teeth rows restoration in the maxillofacial area is the last stage of the ongoing patient treatment and a basic purpose for the dental doctors. For this purpose a different set of modern and classic contemporary dental materials is used. The choice of each material during the treatment of every patient with proven allergy to different kind of allergens is very specific and strictly individual. In the everyday oral diagnostics a standardized set of allergens for diagnostics is used for proving the allergy to dental materials. The set has been developed on the base of all existing and permitted by the Bulgarian authorities dental materials, as well as professional series.
The difference between the developed and standardized allergens for diagnostics used in our country and the existing ready-for-use series is that the first are made of the final product (material) in the form introduced to the oral cavity and persisting there for a different period of time, sometimes for tenths of years. This enables the possibility for early or late contact allergic reactions with symptoms in the oral cavity and on the skin, maxillofacial area, head and neck, as well as the entire organism.
The current article introduces the readers to the results obtained by the realization of the research project №28/2011 “Research on the type of sensibilisation to contemporary dental materials and development of set of allergens for its diagnosing through epicutaneous patch testing” funded by the Committee of Medical science of MU Sofia (CMC). Through the project became possible the creation and the initial research of the first Bulgarian series for epicutaneous testing whose aim is to prove the allergenic potential of the most frequently used by the dental doctors dental materials.
Key words: Dental clinical allergology, Allergy to dental materials and dental alloys, Bulgarian allergenic materials for diagnostics.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 1825 KB/
Please cite this article as: Dencheva M, Stoeva Il, Kisselova A, Krasteva A, Petrunov B, Nikolov G, Hristova R, Galabov Y. The first Bulgarian standardized series for epicutaneous patch testing for allergies to dental materials and alloys. J of IMAB. 2012; 18(4):232-239. doi:10.5272/jimab.2012184.232
1. De Rossi SS, Greenberg MS. Intraoral contact allergy: A literature review and case reports. J Am Dent Assoc. 1998 Oct;129(10):1435-1441. [PubMed]
2. Djerasi E, Petrunov B. Alergologichni problem v stomatologiata. Medizina I phizkultura, Sofia, 1990, 245 p. [in Bulgarian]
3. Gawkrodger DJ. Investigation of reactions to dental materials. Br J Dermatol. 2005 Sep;153(3):479-485. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Geurtsen, W. Biocompatibility of dental casting alloys. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2002; 13(1):71-84. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Henriks-Eckerman ML. Suuronen K, Jolanki R, Alanko K. Methacrylates in dental restorative materials. Contact Dermatitis. 2004 Apr;50(4):233-237. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Ivanova, I. Intraoralna kontaktna svruhchuvstvitelnost kam zaboprotezni materiali. Dis. FDMSofia, 2008, 173p. [in Bulgarian]
7. Kanerva L, Henriks-Eckerman ML, Jolanki R, Estlander T. Plastics/Acrylics: Material Safety data sheets need to be improved. Clin Dermatol. 1997 Jul-Aug;15(4):533-546. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Kisselova-Yaneva, A. Reactions to materials used in dentistry. Godishen sbornik IMAB, 2001, 7(2):135-136.
9. Kisselova-Yaneva А. Stomatogenni poleta na smustenie pri njakoi hronichni zaboljavania i alergii. Dok. dis, Stom. Fac, Sofia, 2000,371p. [in Bulgarian]
10. Kisselova-Yaneva, А. Stomatologichna alergologia i ognistna diagnostika. monographia, IK “Gutenberg”, Sofia, 2001, 327p. [in Bulgarian]
11. Kisselova-Yaneva A. Ognistno deistvasti factori v zabno-chelustnata sistema pri deza I iunoshi na teritoriata na grad Ruse. Dis. Stom fac Sofia, 1981,169 p. (3) [in Bulgarian]
12. Leggat PA, Kedjarune U. Toxicity of methylmethacrylate in dentistry. Int Dent J. 2003 Jun;53(3):126-131. [PubMed]
13. Lygre GB, Gjerdet NR, Gronningsaeter AG, Bjorkman L. Reporting on adverse reactions to dental materials – intraoral observations at a clinical follow-up. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003 Jun;31(3):200-206. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
>14. Lygre H. Prosthodontic biomaterials and adverse reactions: a critical review of the clinical and research literature. Acta Odontol Scand. 2002 Jan;60(1):1-9. [PubMed]
15. Mallo-Perez L, Diaz-Donado C. Intraoral contact allergy to materials used in dental practice. A critical review. Med Oral. 2003 Nov-Dec;8(5):334-47. PubMed ]
16. Mjor IA. Biological side effects to materials used in dentistry. J R Coll Surg Edinb. 1999 Jun;44(3):146-149. [PubMed]
Mjor IA. Side effects of dental materials. BMJ. 1994 Sep 10;309(6955):621-622. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
O’Connor WJ, Rogers RS, Sheridan PJ, Reeve CM. Allergic contact stomatitis, a 20 year experience. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 1997, 9(Suppl.1):163-163.
Petrunov B., E. Djerasi, E. Stanoeva, Promjana na imunologichnata reaktivnost na stomatolosi pod vlijanie na profesionalnite alergizirasti factori. Stomatologia, 1977, VІХ, 6, 397-401. [in Bulgarian]
Scott A, Egner W, Grawkrodger DJ, Hatton PV, Sherriff M, van Noort R, et al. The national survey of adverse reactions to dental materials in the UK: a preliminary study by the UK Adverse Reactions Reporting Project. Brit Dent J. 2004 Apr;196(8):471-477. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
Tosic, G. Occupational hazards in dentistry - part one: allergic reactions to dental restorative materials and latex sensitivity. Facta Universitatis, Series: Working and Living Environmental Protection 2004; 2 (4):317-324.
an der Valk PG, Devos SA, Coenraads PJ. Evidence-based diagnosis in patch testing. Contact Dermatitis. 2003 Mar;48(3):121-125. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
23. Wataha JC. Biocompatibility of dental casting alloys: A review. J Prosthet Dent. 2000 Feb;83(2):223-234. [PubMed].
Accepted for publication: 07 May 2012
Issue published online: 20 July 2012
back to Online Journal