||Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2012, vol. 18, book 3;
Subject Collection: Medicine
Published online: 28 December 2012
J of IMAB. 2012; 18(3):353-356
USE OF STRUCTURAL MRI IN PATIENTS WITH MEDICALLY REFRACTORY SEIZURES
Ara G. Kaprelyan1, Dimitar M. Minchev1, Alexandra J. Tzoukeva1, Margarita V. Grudkova1, Radoslav Georgiev2,
1) Department of Neurology 2) Department of Radiology;
Medical University "Prof. P. Stoyanov", Varna, Bulgaria.
Introduction: Refractory epilepsy is common in patients with structural brain lesions including acquired disorders and genetic abnormalities. Recently, MRI is a precise diagnostic tool for recognition of different structural causes underlying medically intractable seizures.
Objective: To evaluate the usefulness of MRI for detection of brain lesions associated with refractory epilepsy.
Material and methods: 49 patients (20M and 29F; aged 48.6±24.7 years) with refractory epilepsy were included in the study. They presented with partial (46.0%), secondary (31.0%) or primary (23.0%) generalized tonic-clonic seizures. Clinical diagnosis was based on the revised criteria of ILAE. Structural neuroimaging (MRI), EEG recording, and neurological examination were performed.
Results: MRI detected different structural brain abnormalities totally in 36 (73.5%) patients, including cerebral tumors (21p), cerebrovascular accidents (5p), hyppocampal sclerosis (3p), developmental malformations (2p), postencephalitic lesions (2p), arachnoid cysts (2p), and tuberous sclerosis (1p). Neuroimaging revealed normal findings in 13 (27.5%) cases. EEG recordings showed focal epileptic activity in 38 (77.6%) patients, including 33 cases with and 5 without structural brain abnormalities.
Conclusion: This study revealed that structural brain lesions are commonly associated with refractory epilepsy. We suggested that MRI is a useful diagnostic method for assessment of patients with uncontrolled seizures or altered epileptic pattern.
Key words: structural MRI, refractory seizures, brain lesions.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 1027 KB/
Please cite this article as: Kaprelyan AG, Minchev DM, Tzoukeva AJ, Grudkova MV, Georgiev R. USE OF STRUCTURAL MRI IN PATIENTS WITH MEDICALLY REFRACTORY SEIZURES. J of IMAB. 2012; 18(3):353-356. DOI: 10.5272/jimab.2012183.353;
1. Adams C, Hwang PA, Gilday DL, Armstrong DC, Becker LE, Hoffman HJ. Comparison of SPECT, EEG, CT, MRI, and pathology in partial epilepsy. Pediatr Neurol. 1992 Mar-Apr;8(2):97-103. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
2. Barkovich AJ, Raybaud CA. Neuroimaging in disorders of cortical development. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2004 May;14(2):231-54. [Pubmed] [CrossRef]
3. Barsi P. Magnetic resonance measuring and analitic methods in epilepsy. [Article in Hungarian] Ideggyogy Sz. 2011 Sep;64(9-10):300-4. [Pubmed]
4. Berg AT, Berkovic SF, Brodie MJ, Buchhalter J, Cross JH, van Emde Boas W, et al. Revised terminology and concepts for organization of seizures and epilepsies: Report of the ILAE Commission on Classification and Terminology, 2005-2009. Epilepsia. 2010 Apr;51(4):676-85. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Bernal B, Altman NR. Evidence-based medicine: neuroimaging of seizures. Neuroimaging Clin N Am.2003 May;13(2):211-24. [PubMed]
6. Deblaere K, Achten E. Structural magnetic resonance imaging in epilepsy. Eur Radiol. 2008 Jan;18(1):119-29. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Duncan J. The current state of neuroimaging for epilepsy. Cuur Opin Neurol. 2009 Apr;22(2):179-84. [PubMed]
8. Guidelines for neuroimaging evaluation of patients with uncontrolled epilepsy considered for surgery. Commission on Neuroimaging of the International League Against Epilepsy. Epilepsia. 1998 Dec;39(12):1375-76. [PubMed]
9. Hanamiya M, Korogi Y, Kakeda S, Ohnari N, Kamada K, Moriya J, et al. Partial loss of hippocampal striation in medial temporal lobe epilepsy: pilot evaluation with high-spatial-resolution T2-weighted MR imaging at 3.0 T. Radiology. 2009 Jan;251(3):873-81. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
10. Kwan P, Arzimanoglou A, Berg A, Brodie MJ, Allen Hauser W, Mathern G, et al. Definition of drug resistant epilepsy: Consensus proposal by the ad hoc Task Force of the ILAE Commission on Therapeutic Strategies. Epilepsia. 2010 Jun;51(6):1069-77. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
11. Madan N, Grant P. New directions in clinical imaging of cortical dysplasias. Epilepsia. 2009 Oct;50 (Suppl 9):9-18. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
12. Panayiotopoulos C. The new ILAE report on terminology and concepts for organization of epileptic seizures: a clinician's critical view and contribution. Epilepsia. 2011 Dec;52(12):2155-60. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Panayiotopoulos C. EEG and brain imaging. In: A clinical guide to epileptic syndromes and their treatment. Springer-Verlag, 2007, 129-55.
14. Phal PM, Usmanov A, Nesbit GM, Anderson JC, Spencer D, Wang P, et al. Original research. Qualitative Comparison of 3-T and 1.5-T MRI in the evaluation of epilepsy. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008 Sep;191(3):890-95. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
15. The epilepsies: the diagnosis and management of the epilepsies in adults and children in primary and secondary care. London (UK): National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), 2012, 117 p. (Clinical guideline, no. 137).
16. Reiss-Zimmermann M, Weber D, Sorge I, Merkenschlager A, Hirsch W. Developmental malformations of the cerebral cortex. Rofo. 2010 Jun;182(6):472-78. [in German] [PubMed] [CrossRef]
17. Rudzinski L, Meador K. Epilepsy: Five new things. Neurology. 2011 Feb 15;76(7 Suppl 2):S20-25. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
18. Ruggieri PM, Najm IM. MR imaging in epilepsy. Neurol Clin.2001 May;19(2):477-89. [PubMed]
19. Samson K. Temporal lobe epilepsy MRI abnormalities common in healthy individuals. Neurology Today. 2010 Feb 18;10(4):1-10. [CrossRef]
20. Van Paesschen W. Qualitative and quantitative imaging of the hippocampus in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal sclerosis. NeuroimagingClinNAm, 2004 Aug;14(3):373-400. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
21. Wehner T, Luders H. Role of neuroimaging in the presurgical evaluation of epilepsy. J Clin Neurol. 2008 Mar;4(1):1-16. [Pubmed] [CrossRef]
22. Woermann FG, Vollmar C. Clinical MRI in children and adults with focal epilepsy: a critical review. Epilepsy Behav. 2009 May;15(1):40-9. [PubMed] [CrossRef].
Accepted for publication: 16 October 2012
Issue published online: 28 December 2012
back to Online Journal