||Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2012, vol. 18, book 3;
Subject Collection: Medicine
Published online: 06 November 2012
J of IMAB. 2012; 18(3):312-314
SUBJECTIVE COGNITIVE COMPLAINTS IN A PATIENT WITH KERATOCONUS: COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT OR "KERATOCONIC PERSONALITY"?
Ara G. Kaprelyan, Alexandra J. Tzoukeva, Ivan N. Dimitrov, Borislav Ivanov, Nadejda S. Deleva,
Department of Neurology, Medical University, Varna, Bulgaria.
Keratoconus is a disorder affecting the cornea, characterized by its variably progressive central thinning, which results in conically shaped protrusion. Patients with keratoconus are sometimes described as having peculiar personality characteristics. We present the case of a patient with keratoconus, complaining of impairment of concentration and memory disturbances. He reported slow progression of the complaints but was fully capable of performing his professional and social activities. Neuropsychological assessment confirmed fluctuations of active attention and diminished concentration. Long term memory was within normal limits, but closer to the lower level). MMSE score was 27. No significant changes were observed one year after baseline assessment. No major psychiatric disorder was found. In this clinical case we are tempted to discuss the possible role of keratoconus, which, as it has been described in the literature, could lead to some slight changes of behavior, forming a "keratoconic personality".
Key words: cognitive impairment, keratoconus, keratoconic personality.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 1186 KB/
Please cite this article as: Kaprelyan AG, Tzoukeva AJ, Dimitrov IN, Ivanov B, Deleva NS. Subjective Cognitive Complaints in a Patient with Keratoconus: Cognitive Impairment or "Keratoconic Personality"? J of IMAB. 2012; 18(3):312-314.
1.Epstein AB. Keratoconus & Related Disorders. North Shore Contact Lens and Vision Consultants. 2000; 87 p.
2. Moreira LB, Alchieri JC, Belfort R Jr, Moreira H. Psychological and social aspects of patients with keratoconus. [Article in Portuguese] Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2007 Mar-Apr;70(2):317-322. [PubMed] [CrossRef
3. Gorskova EN, Sevostianov EN, Baturin NA. Results of psychological testing of patients with keratoconus. [Article in Russian] Vestn Oftalmol. 1998 Nov-Dec;114(6):44-45. [PubMed]
4. Cooke CA, Cooper C, Dowds E, Frazer DG, Jackson AJ. Keratoconus, myopia, and personality. Cornea. 2003 Apr;22(3):239-242. [PubMed]
5. Mannis MJ, Morrison TL, Zadnik K, Holland EJ, Krachmer JH. Personality trends in keratoconus. An analysis. Arch Ophthalmol. 1987 Jun;105(6):798-800. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Giedd KK, Mannis MJ, Mitchell GL, Zadnik K. Personality in keratoconus in a sample of patients derived from the internet. Cornea. 2005 Apr;24(3):301-307. [PubMed]
Accepted for publication: 18 August 2012
Issue published online: 06 November 2012
back to Online Journal