||Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2012, vol. 18, book 2
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Published online: 19 June 2012
J of IMAB 2012; 18(2):211-215
DENTAL HEALTH IN ASTHMATICS TREATED WITH INHALED CORTICOSTEROIDS AND LONG-ACTING SYMPATHICOMIMETICS.
Emilia Karova1, George Christoff2
1) Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicine,
2) Department of Health Economics, Faculty of Public Health,
Medical University - Sofia, Bulgaria.
There is no enough evidence in literature for the effect of inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting sympathicomimetics on dental health in asthmatics. The aim of the study is to follow up the changes in dental plaque pH and dental health in asthmatics with mild persistent asthma, treated with different combinations of inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting sympathicomimetics.
Seventy patients of both sexes, from 20 to 55 years old participated in the study. Changes in plaque pH and dental status are evaluated in two visits, in six months interval.
There are no significant differences between asthmatics and controls when plaque pH values are compared. Substantially lower pH values are determined for maxillary teeth in both groups.
DMFT index is significantly higher in asthmatics than in the controls. It increases substantially at their second visit. Significantly higher mean levels of DMFT index for each jaw are found out in asthmatic group.
Key words: asthma, inhaled corticosteroids, inhaled long-acting sympathicomimetics, plaque pH, dental health.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 998 KB/
Please cite this article as: Karova E, Christoff G. Dental health in asthmatics treated with inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting sympathicomimetics. J of IMAB. 2012; 18(2):211-215. doi: 10.5272/jimab.2012182.211
1. Anjomshoaa I, Cooper ME, Vieira AR. Caries is Associated with Asthma and Epilepsy, Eur J Dent. 2009 Oct;3(4):297-303. [PubMed]
2. Botelho MP, Maciel SM, Cerci Neto A, Dezan CC, Fernandes KB, de Andrade FB. Cariogenic microorganisms and oral conditions in asthmatic children. Caries Res. 2011; 45(4):386-92. Epub 2011 Aug 3, [PubMed] [CrossRef]
3. Ersin NK, Gülen F, Eronat N, Cogulu D, Demir E, Tanaç R, Aydemir S., Oral and dental manifestations of young asthmatics related to medication, severity and duration of condition, Pediatr Int. 2006 Dec;48(6):549-54. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Kankaala TM, JI Virtanen, MA Larmas, Timing of first fillings in the primary dentition and permanent first molars of asmathic children, Acta Odontol Scand. 1998, Feb;56(1):20-24. [PubMed]
5. Kargul B, Tanboga I, Ergeneli S, Karakoc F, Dagli E. Inhaler medicament effects on saliva and plaque pH in asthmatic children, J Clin Ped Dent, 1998, Winter;22(2):137-140. [PubMed]
6. Lenander-Lumikari M, Soderling E, Loimaranta V, Ampula L. Effect of Inhaled Corticosteroids on Plaque pH , Caries Res, 2000, 34: 34
7. Mazzoleni S, Stellini E, Cavaleri E, Angelova Volponi A, Ferro R, Fochesato Colombani S. Dental caries in children with asthma undergoing treatment with short-acting beta2-agonists, Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2008 Sep;9(3):132-8. [PubMed]
8. McDerra EJ, Pollard MA, Curzon ME. The dental status of asthmatic British school children, Pediatr Dent.1998 Jul-Aug;20(4):281-287. [PubMed]
9. Mehta A, Sequeira PS, Sahoo RC. Bronchial asthma and dental caries risk: results from a case control study, J Contemp Dent Pract. 2009 Jul 1;10(4):59-66. [PubMed]
10. Meldrum AM, Thomson WM, Drummond BK, Sears MR. Is Asthma a Risk Factor for Dental Caries?Findings from a Cohort Study, Caries Res. 2001 Jul-Aug;35(4):235-239. [PubMed]
11. O’Sullivan EA, Curzon MEJ. Drug treatments for asthma may cause erosive tooth damage, BMJ 1998 Sep 19;317(7161):820. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
12. Paganini M, Dezan CC, Bichaco TR, de Andrade FB, Neto AC, Fernandes KB. Dental caries status and salivary properties of asthmatic children and adolescents. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2011 May;21(3):185-91. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Reddy DK, Hegde AM, Munshi AK. Dental caries status of children with bronchial asthma, J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2003 Spring;27(3):293-5. [PubMed]
14. Roberts IF, Roberts GJ. Relation between medicines sweetened with sucrose and dental disease, Br Med J. 1979 Jul 7;2(6181):14-16. [PubMed]
15. Ryberg M, Moller C, Ericson T. Effect of beta-adrenoreceptor agonists on saliva protein and dental caries in asthmatic children, J Dent Res. 1987 Aug;66(8):1404-1406. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
16. Ryberg M, Moller C, Ericson T. Saliva composition and caries development in asthmatic patients treated with β2-adrenoreceptor agonists:a 4-year follow-up study, Scand J Dent Res. 1991 Jun;99(3):212-218. [PubMed]
17. Sag C, Ozden FO, Acikgoz G, Anlar FY. The effects of combination treatment with a long-acting beta2-agonist and a corticosteroid on salivary flow rate, secretory immunoglobulin A, and oral health in children and adolescents with moderate asthma: a 1-month, single-blind clinical study, Clin Ther. 2007 Oct;29(10):2236-42. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
18. Shulman JD, Taylor SE, Nunn ME, The Association between Asthma and Dental Caries in Children and Adolescents: A Population-Based Case-Control Study. Car Res. 2001 Jul-Aug;35(4):240-246. [PubMed]
19. Stensson M, Wendt LK, Koch G, Oldaeus G, Birkhed D. Oral health in preschool children with asthma, Int J Paediatr Dent. 2008 Jul;18(4):243-50. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
20. Storhaug K. Caries experience in disabled pre-school children, Acta Odontol Scand. 1985 Aug;43(4):241-248. [PubMed]
21. Sunitha S, Prashanth GM, Shanmukhappa, Chandu GN, Subba Reddy VV. An analysis of concentration of sucrose, endogenous pH, and alteration in the plaque pH on consumption of commonly used liquid pediatric medicines, J Indian Soc Pedod Prevent Dent, 2009 Jan-Mar;27(1):44-48. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
22. Tanaka K, Miyake Y, Arakawa M, Sasaki S, Ohya Y. Dental caries and allergic disorders in Japanese children: the Ryukyus Child Health Study, J Asthma. 2008 Nov;45(9):795-9. [PubMed]
23. Turkistani JM, Farsi N, Almushayt A, Alaki S. Caries experience in asthmatic children: a review of literature. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2010 Fall;35(1):1-8. [PubMed]
24. Wierchola B, Emerich K, Adamowicz-Klepalska B. The association between bronchial asthma and dental caries in children of the developmental age, Eur J Paediatr Dent 2006 Sep;7(3):142-5. [PubMed]
25. Wöltgens JHM, Influence of Sugar Consumption, J Ped Dent Care 2008, 13/14, Issue 4/1:14-18
26. Zero DT, Fontana M, Martínez-Mier EA, Ferreira-Zandoná A, Ando M, González-Cabezas C, et al. The biology, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of dental caries, J Am Dent Asoc. 2009 Sep; 140 Suppl 1:25-34. [PubMed]
27. Zero DT. Dental caries process, D Clin North Am 1999, 43, 4:635-664. [PubMed]
Accepted for publication: 08 April 2012
Issue published online: 19 June 2012
back to Online Journal