Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2012, vol. 18, book 2
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Published online: 27 March 2012
J of IMAB 2012; 18(2):168-173
BOND STRENGTH OF SELF-ETCH ADHESIVES WITH PRIMARY AND PERMANENT TEETH DENTIN – IN VITRO STUDY.
Natalia Gateva1, Valentin Dikov2
1) Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Sofia
2) Technical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Objective: The aim of this study was to compare dentin bond strength of primary and permanent teeth with self-etching adhesive systems.
Methods: On 40 intact specimens of primary and permanent teeth was created flat dentin surfaces. The patterns were divided in 4 groups. Two different self-etching adhesive systems were used – one two steps (AdheSE, VivaDent) and one one step (AdheSE One, VivaDent). Resin composite build-ups were constructed by means of convetional copper ring after applying the adhesive. The specimens were stored in water for 72 h at room temperature. After that specimens were tested for macrotensile bond strength. Debonded surfaces were analyzed by SEM.
Conclusions: The measured values of dentin bond strength after applying self-etching adhesives are statistically significant in group of permanent teeth in comparison with group of primary teeth, and for both adhesive generations. Two steps self-etching adhesive provide significant stronger dentin bond strength with both dentitions in comparison with one step self-etching adhesive.
Key words: primary teeth, permanent teeth, self-etching adhesives, bond strength, SEM.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 340 KB/
Please cite this article as: Gateva N, Dikov V. BOND STRENGTH OF SELF-ETCH ADHESIVES WITH PRIMARY AND PERMANENT TEETH DENTIN – IN VITRO STUDY. J of IMAB. 2012; 18(2):168-173. doi: 10.5272/jimab.2012182.168
1. Гатева Н, Кабакчиева Р. СЕМ характеристика на граничната зона адхезив-дентин при временни и постоянни зъби: in vitro изследване на четири самоецващи адхезивни системи. Съвременна стоматология, 2010; 41(1): 3-14. (in Bulgarian)
2. Agostini FG, Kaaden C, Powers JM. Bond strength of self-etching primers to enamel and dentin of primary teeth. Pediatr Dent. 2001 Nov-Dec;23(6):481-486. [PubMed]
3. Assakawa T. Manabe A, Itoh K, Inoue M, Hisamitu H, Sasa R. Efficacy of dentin adhesives in primary and permanent teeth. J Clin Ped Dent. 2001 Spring;25(3):231-236. [PubMed]
4. Atash R, Vanden Abbeele A. Sealing Ability of New Generation Adhesive Systems in Primary Teeth: An In Vitro Study. Pediatr Dent. 2004 Jul-Aug;26(4):322-328. [PubMed]
5. Bekes K, Boeckler L, Gernhardt CR, Schaller HG. Clinical performance of a self-etching and a total-etch adhesive system- 2-year results. J Oral Rehabil.2007 Nov;34(11):855-861. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Breschi L, Mazzoni A, Ruggeri A, Cadenaro M, Di Lenarda R, De Stefano Dorigo E. Dental adhesion review: Aging and stability of the bonded interface. Dent Mater. 2008 Jan;24(1):90–101. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Burrow MF, Nopnakeepong U, Phrukkanon S. A Comparison of Microtensile Bond Strengths of Several Dentin Bonding Systems to Primary and Permanent Dentin. Dent Mater. 2002 May;18(3):239-245. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Can-Karabulut D, Oz FT, Karabulut B, Batmaz I, Ilk O. Adhesion to primary and permanent dentin and simple model approach. Eur J Dent. 2009 Jan;3(1):32-41. [PubMed]
9. Christensen GJ. Self-etching primers are here. J Am Dent Assoc. 2001 Jul;132(7):1041–1043. [PubMed]
10. Courson F. Bouter D, Ruse ND, Degrange M. Bond strength of nine current dentine adhesive systems to primary and permanent teeth. J Oral Rehabil. 2005 Apr;32(4):296-303. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
11. Еliades G., Watts D.C., Eliades T. Dental hard tissues and bonding. Springer 2005; 109-122.
12. Fagan TR. Crall JJ, Jensen ME, Chalkley Y, Clarkson B. A comparison of two dentin bonding agents in primary and permanent teeth. Pediatr Dent. 1986 Jun;8(3):144-146. [PubMed]
13. Fowler CS. Swartz ML, Moore BK, Rhodes BF. Influence of selected variables on adhesion testing. Dent Mater. 1992 Jul;8(4):265-269. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
14. Hosoya Y, Kawashita Y, Yoshida M, Suefuji C, Marshall GW Jr. Fluoridated Light-Activated Bonding Resin Adhesion to Enamel and Dentin: Primary vs. Permanent. Ped Dent. 2000 Mar-Apr;22(2):101-106. [PubMed]
15. Hosoya Y, Nishiguchi M, Kashiwabara Y, Horiuchi A, Goto G. Comparison of two dentin adhesives to primary vs. permanent bovine dentin. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 1997 Fall;22(1):69-76. [PubMed]
16. Kaaden C, Powers JM, Friedl KH, Schmalz G. Bond strength of self-etching adhesives to dental hard tissues. Clin Oral Invest. 2002 Sep;6(3):155–60. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
17. Kenshima S, Francci C, Reis A, Loguercio AD, Filho LE. Conditioning effect on dentin, resin tags and hybrid layer of different acidity self-etch adhesives applied to thick and thin smear layer. J Dent. 2006 Nov;34(10): 775-783. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
18. Luz MA, Arana-Chaves VE, Netto VG. Scanning electron microscopy examination of 3 different adhesive systems. Quintessence Int. 2005 Oct;36(9):687-694. [PubMed]
19. Marquezan M, da Silveira BL, Burnett LH Jr, Rodrigues CR, Kramer PF. Microtensile Bond Strength of Contemporary Adhesives to Primary Enamel and Dentin. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2007 Winter;32(2):127–132. [PubMed]
20. Mazzeo N, Ott NW, Hondrum SO. Resin bonding to primary teeth using three adhesive systems. Pediatr Dent. 1995 Mar-Apr;17(2):112-115. [PubMed]
21. Nör JE, Feigal RJ, Dennison JB, Edwards CA. Dentin Bonding: SEM Comparison of the Dentin Surface in Primary and Permanent Teeth. Pediatr Dent. 1997 May-Jun;19(4):246-252. [PubMed]
22. Naughton WT, Latta MA. Bond strength of composite to dentin using self-etching adhesive systems. Quintessence Int. 2005 Apr;36(4):259–262. [PubMed]
23. Nör JE, Feigal RJ, Dennison JB, Edwards CA. Dentin bonding: SEM comparison of the resin dentin interface in primary and permanent teeth. J Dent Res. 1996 Jun;75(6):1396-1403. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
24. Oztas N, Olmez A. Effects of one versus two applications of a self-etching adhesive to dentin of primary teeth: a SEM study. J Contemp Dent Prac. 2005 Feb 15;6(1):18–25. [PubMed]
25. Peumans M, Kanumilli P, De Munck J, Van Landuyt K, Lambrechts P, Van Meerbeek B. Clinical effectiveness of contemporary adhesives: a review of current clinical trials. Dent Mater. 2005 Sep;21(9):864-881. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
26. Rocha R, Soares FZ, Rodrigues CR, Rodrigues Filho LE. Influence of Aging Treatments on Microtensile Bond Strength of Adhesive Systems to Primary Dentin. J Dent Child (Chic). 2007 May-Aug;74(2):109-112. [PubMed]
27. Senawongse P, Harnirattisai C, Shimada Y, Tagami J. Effective bond strength of current adhesive systems on deciduous and permanent dentin. Oper Dent. 2004 Mar-Apr;29(2):196–202. [PubMed]
28. Shumikawa DA, Marshall GW, Gee L, Marshall SJ. Microstructure of primary tooth dentin. Pediatr Dent. 1999 Nov-Dec;21(7):439-444. [PubMed]
29. Soares FZ, Rocha Rde O, Raggio DP, Sadek FT, Cardoso PE. Microtensile bond strength of different adhesive systems to primary and permanent dentin. Pediatr Dent. 2005 Nov-Dec;27(6):457–462. [PubMed]
30. Stalin A, Varma BR, Jayanthi. Comparative Evaluation of Tensile-Bond Strength, Fracture Mode and Microleakage of Fifth, and Sixth Generation Adhesive Systems in Primary Dentition. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2005 June;23(2):83-88. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
31. Strydom C. Self-etching adhesives: review of adhesion to tooth structure part I. SADJ. 2004 Nov;59(10):413, 415-417, 419. [PubMed]
32. Swift JE Jr. Dentin/Enamel Adhesives: Review of the Literature. Pediatr Dent. 2002 Sep-Oct;24(5): 456-460. [PubMed]
33. Technical specification ISO/TS 11405. Dental materials –testing of adhesion to tooth structure. Switzerland; 2003.
34. Torres CP, Corona SA, Ramos RP, Palma-Dibb RG, Borsatto MC. Bond Strength of Self-etching Primer and Total-etch Adhesive Systems to Primary Dentin. J Dent Child (Chic). 2004 May-Aug;71(2):131-134. [PubMed]
35. Uekusa S, Yamaguchi K, Miyazaki M, Tsubota K, Kurokawa H, Hosoya Y. Bonding efficacy of single-step self-etch systems to sound primary and permanent tooth dentin. Oper Dent. 2006 Sep-Oct;31(5):569–576. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
36. Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Vijay P, et al. Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges. Oper Dent. 2003 May-Jun;28(3):215-235. [PubMed]
37. Van Meerbeek B. Inokoshi S, Braem M, Lambrechts P, Vanherle G. Morphological aspects of the resin-dentin interdiffusion zone with different dentin adhesive systems. J Dent Res. 1992 Aug;71(8):1530-1540. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
38. Van Meerbeek B. Van Landuyt K, De Munck J, Hashimoto M, Peumans M, Lambrechts P, et al. Technique-Sensitivity of Contemporary Adhesives. Dent Mater J. 2005 Mar;24(1):1-13 . [PubMed]
39. Van Meerbeek B, Yoshida Y, Lambrechts P, Vanherle G, Duke ES, Eick JD, et al. A TEM Study of Two Water-Based Adhesive Systems Bonded to Dry and Wet Dentin. J Dent Res. 1998 Jan;77(1):50-59. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
40. Windley W 3rd, Ritter A, Trope M. The effect of short-term calcium hydroxide treatment on dentin bond strengths to composite resin. Dental Traumatol. 2003 Apr;19(2):79-84. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
41. Yaseen SM, Subba Reddy VV. Comparative evaluation of shear bond strength of two self-etching adhesives (sixth and seventh generation) on dentin of primary and permanent teeth: An in vitro study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prevent Dent. 2009 Jan-Mar;27(1): 33-38. [PubMed] [CrossRef].
Accepted for publication: 06 December 2011
Issue published online: 27 March 2012
back to Online Journal