Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2012, vol. 18, book 2
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Published online: 08 March 2012
J of IMAB 2012; 18(2):157-162
TRANSMISSION OF Porphyromonas gingivalis FROM CAREGIVERS TO CHILDREN.
Marieta D. Belcheva1, Angelina Kiselova-Yaneva1, Maya Rashkova2, Tsonko Uzunov3, Assya Krasteva1, Stefan Panaiotov4, Victoria Levterova4, Sashka Targova3, Milena Georgieva3, Nadia Brankova4
1) Department of Imaging and Oral Diagnostic, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Sofia;
2) Department of Pediatric Dental Medicine, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Sofia;
3) Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Sofia;
4) NationalCenter of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Sofia, Bulgaria
Periodontal diseases are socially significant diseases, which occur in adults but in children and adolescents as well. Despite a low prevalence of aggressive periodontitis at a young age, its severity is a challenge for pediatric dentistry.
The goal of this study is to find if the prevalence of Porphyromonas gingivalis among children whose parents suffer from periodontal diseases is greater than among children with healthy parents.
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Culture method.
When PCR was used P.gingivalis was found in 35.5% of parents with periodontitis and in 6,5% of their children, children with healthy parents and their parents. No statistically significant relation (P>0.05) between periodontal parents and their children was found.
When culture method was used P.gingivalis was not detected.
Studying such correlations and standardizing methods of detection could contribute the evaluation of periodontal disease risk in adolescents.
Key words: P.gingivalis, transmission, periodontitis, plaque.
- Download FULL TEXT /PDF 522 KB/
Please cite this article as: Belcheva MD, Kiselova-Yaneva A, Rashkova M, Uzunov T, Krasteva A, Panaiotov S, Levterova V, Targova S, Georgieva M, Brankova N. Transmission of Porphyromonas gingivalis from caregivers to children. J of IMAB. 2012; 18(2):157-162. doi: 10.5272/jimab.2012182.157
1. Lee Y, Tchaou WS, Welch KB, Loesche WJ. The transmission of BANA-positive periodontal bacterial species from caregivers to children. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006 Nov;137(11):1539-46. [PubMed]
2. Tanaka S, Murakami Y, Ogiwara T, Shoji M, Seto K, Nagasaki M, et al. Frequency of reactivity for Porphyromonas gingivalis and Prevotella spp. in supra- and subgingival plaques, and periodontal clinical parameters according to subject age. J Periodontol. 2002 Aug;73(8):877-85. [PubMed][CrossRef]
3. Cortelli JR, Cortelli SC, Jordan S, Haraszthy VI, Zambon JJ. Prevalence of periodontal pathogens in brazilians with aggressive or chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2005 Aug;32(8):860-6. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Bodet C, Chandad F, Grenier D. Pathogenic potential of Porphyromonas gingivalis, Treponema denticola and Tannerella forsythia, the red bacterial complex associated with periodontitis. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2007 Apr-May;55(3-4):154-62. (in French) [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Umeda M, Miwa Z, Takeuchi Y, Ishizuka M, Huang Y, Noguchi K, et al. The distribution of periodontopathic bacteria among Japanese children and their parents. J Periodontal Res. 2004 Dec;39(6):398-404. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Kobayashi N, Ishihara K, Sugihara N, Kusumoto M, Yakushiji M, Okuda K. Colonization pattern of periodontal bacteria in Japanese children and their mothers. J Periodontal Res. 2008 Apr;43(2):156-61. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Greenstein G, Lamster I. Bacterial transmission in periodontal diseases: a critical review. The impact of the maternal’s periodontal status on the detection of periodontal pathogens in newborn children. J Periodontol. 1997 May;68(5):421-31. [PubMed]
8. Cortelli SC, Cortelli JR, Aquino DR, Holzhausen M, Franco GC, Costa Fde O, et al. Clinical status and detection of periodontopathogens and Streptococcus mutans in children with high levels of supragingival biofilm. Braz Oral Res. 2009 Jul-Sep;23(3):313-318. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
9. Syed SA, Loesche WJ. Survival of human dental plaque flora in various transport media. Appl Microbiol. 1972 Oct;24(4):638-644. [PubMed]
10. Ashimoto A, Chen C, Bakker I, Slots J. Polymerase Chain Reaction detection of 8 putative periodontal pathogens in subgingival plaque of gingivitis and advanced periodontitis lesions. Oral Microbiol Immunol. 1996 Aug;11(4):266-273. [PubMed]
11. Kulekci G, Leblebicioglu B, Keskin F, Ciftci S, Badur S. Salivary detection of periodontopathic bacteria in periodontally healthy children. Anaerobe. 2008 Feb;14(1):49-54. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
12. Van Assche N, Van Essche M, Pauwels M, Teughels W, Quirynen M. Do periodontopathogens disappear after full-mouth tooth extraction? J Clin Periodontol. 2009 Dec;36(12):1043–1047. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
13. Byrne SJ, Dashper SG, Darby IB, Adams GG, Hoffmann B, Reynolds ES. Progression of chronic periodontitis can be predicted by the levels of Porphyromonas gingivalis and Treponema denticola in subgingival plaque Oral Microbiol Immunol. 2009 Dec;24(6):469–477. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
14. Kamma JJ, Nakou M, Gmür R, Baehni PC. Microbiological profile of early onset/aggressive periodontitis patients. Oral Microbiol. Immunol. 2004 Oct;19(5):314-21. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
15. Riviere GR, Smith KS, Tzagaroulaki E, Kay SL, Zhu X, DeRouen TA, et al. Periodontal status and detection frequency of bacteria at sites of periodontal health and gingivitis. J Periodontol. 1996 Feb;67(2):109–115. [PubMed]
16. Rêgo RO, Spolidorio DM, Salvador SL, Cirelli JA. Transmission of Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans between Brazilian women with severe chronic periodontitis and their children. Braz Dent J. 2007; 18(3):220-4. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
17. Van Assche N, Van Essche M, Pauwels M, Teughels W, Quirynen M. Do periodontopathogens disappear after full-mouth tooth extraction? J Clin Periodontol. 2009 Dec;36(12):1043–1047. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
18. Tanner A, Maiden MF, Macuch PJ, Murray LL, Kent RL Jr. Microbiota of health, gingivitis, and initial periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 1998 Feb;25(2):85–98. [PubMed] [CrossRef].
Accepted for publication: 06 December 2011
Issue published online: 09 March 2012
back to Online Journal