||Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski>, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2012, vol. 18, book 1
Subject Collection: Medicine
Published online: 15 May 2012
J of IMAB 2012; 18(1):246-249
TREATMENT OF CONDYLOMATA ACUMINATA AND BOWENOID PAPULOSIS WITH CO2 LASER AND IMIQUIMOD.
Ilko Bakardzhiev1, George Pehlivanov2, Dinko Stransky2, Michael Gonevski3
1) Medical College, Medical University of Varna, Bulgaria
2) Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Medical University of Sofia, Bulgaria
3) Department of Internal Diseases, Medical University of Varna, Bulgaria.
Some of the most common manifestation of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) infection in venereology are Condylomata acuminata and Bowenoid Papulosis. These diseases are often difficult to diagnose by dermatologists, obstetricians, gynecologists and urologists. This article represents our entire clinical experience with the use of carbon dioxide (CO-2) laser in the treatment of 58 (40 male and 18 female) patients with Condylomata Acuminata after other treatments had failed. Successful eradication was accomplished in 53 patients with wide distribution of condylomatous lesions, with 88% per cent responding to a single laser treatment. In our experience there are no side effects, damage to the surrounding tissue is minimal and the lesions have not reccured. In 82.3% of the patients the treatment resulted in complete disappearance of the lesions, whereas in the other two to three percent treatments were required. The advantages of the laser treatment are discussed in this article.
Key words: Condylomata acuminata, Bowenoid papulosis, CO-2 laser vaporization, Immunotherapy, Imiquimod.
- Download FULL TEXT ( PDF 146 KB )
Please cite this article as: Bakardzhiev I, Pehlivanov G, Stransky D, Gonevski M. TREATMENT OF CONDYLOMATA ACUMINATA AND BOWENOID PAPULOSIS WITH CO2 LASER AND IMIQUIMOD.. J of IMAB. 2012; 18(1):246-249; doi: 10.5272/jimab.2012181.246
1. Elizabeth Lazaridou., Psyhological complications of genital warts. Fact and fiction. Conferrence on Sexually transmitted infection, 7-9 October, 2004 Island of Myconos, Greece., Book of Abstract, 47
2. Goorney BP, Polori R. A case of Bowenoid papulosis of the penis successfully treated with topical aldara(Imiquimod) cream 5%, Conference on Sexually transmitted infection., 7-9October, 2004 Island of Myconos,Greece., Book of Abstract, 209.
3. Stone KM. Human papillomavirus infection and genital warts: update on epidemiology and treatment. Clin Infect Dis. 1995 Apr;20 (Suppl.1): S 91-97. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Beutner KR, Ferenczy A. Therapeutic approaches to genital warts. Am J Med. 1997 May 5;102(5A): 28-37. [PubMed]
5. Skerlev M. Genital warts – treatment and management. Abstracts of the 13th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 17-21 November 2004, Florence, Italy., J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2004 Nov;18 Suppl 2,125. [PubMed]
6. Ricart JM, Cordoba J, Hernandez M, Esplugues I. Extensive genital bowenoid papulosis responding to imiquimod., J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol.2007 Jan;21(1):113-115. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Van der Meiden W.I., Van,t Hof A.T. One –year experience with imiquimod cream in the treatment of large or widespread ano-genital warts in patients seen at the Erasmus MC STD clinic. Abstracts of the 12 th Congress of the EuropeanAcademy of Dermatology and Venerology, 15-18 October 2003, Barcelona, Spain. EADV, vol.17 suppl.3, Nov 2003, 415
8. Garden JM, O'Banion MK, Shelnitz LS, Pinski KS, Bakus AD, Reichmann ME, Sundberg JP. Papillomavirus in the vapor of carbon dioxide laser-treated verrucae. JAMA. 1988 Feb;259(8):1199-202. [PubMed]
9. Ferenczy A, Behelak Y, Haber G, Wright TC Jr, Richart RM. Treating vaginal and external anogenital condyloma with electrosurgery vs CO-2 laser ablation. J Gynecol Surg. 1995 Spring;11(1):41-50. [PubMed]
10. Petersen CS, Bjerring P, Larsen J, Blaakaer J, Hagdrup H, From E, Obergaard L. Systemic interferon alpha-2b increases the cure rate in laser treated patients with multiple persistent genital warts: aplacebo-controlled study. Genitourin Med. 1991 Apr;67(2):99-102. [PubMed]
11. Davis BE, Noble MJ: Initial experience with combined interferonalfa2b and carbon dioxide laser for the treatment of condylomata acuminata. J Urol. 1992 Mar;147(3):627-9. [PubMed]
12. Carrozza PM, Merlani GM, Burg G, Hafner J. CO-2 laser surgery for extensive, cauliflower-like anogenital condylomata acuminata: retrospective long-term study on 19 HIV-positive and 45 HIV-negative men. Dermatology. 2002; 205(3):255-9. [PubMed]
13. Wiley DJ, Douglas J, Beutner K, Cox T, Fife K, Moscicki AB, Fukumoto L., External Genital Warts: Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention. Clin Infect Dis. 2002 Oct 15;35(Suppl 2):S210-24. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
14. Duus BR, Philipsen T, Christensen JD, Lundvall F, Sondergaard J. Refractory condylomata acuminata: a controlled clinical trial of carbon dioxide laser versus conventional surgical treatment. Genitourin Med. 1985 Feb;61(1):59-61. [PubMed]
15. Perišić S., Perišić Z, Tasic L., Vasiljević M. Treatment of condylomata acuminata – surgical excision and CO-2 laser vaporization. Acta Dermatoven APA Vol 13, 2004,Vol 13, 1 ,9-11.
16. Schleimfeld JD, Lehman DS. An evidence - based review of medical and surgical treatment of genital warts., Dermatol Online J. 2006 Mar 30;12(3):5. [PubMed]
17. Fuselier HA Jr, McBurney EI, Brannan W, Randrup ER. Treatment of condylomata acuminata with Carbon dioxide laser. Urology. 1980 Mar;15(3):265-266. [PubMed]
18. Bar-Am A, Shilon M, Peyser MR, Ophir J, Brenner S. Treatment of male genital condylomatous lesions by carbon dioxide laser after failure of previous nonlaser methods. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1991 Jan;24(1):87-89. [PubMed]
19. Rosemberg SK. Carbon dioxide laser treatment of external genital lesions, Urology, 1985 Jun;25(6):555-558. [PubMed]
20. Garland SM, Waddell R, Mindel A, Denham IM, McCloskey JC. An open –label phase it pilot study investigating the optimal duration of imiquimod 5% crema for the treatment of external genital warts in women. Int J STD AIDS. 2006 Jul;17(7):448-452. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
21. Yan J, Chen S, Wang HN, Wu TX. Meta analysis of 5% imiquimod and podophylotoxin in the treatment of condylomata acuminate. Dermatology, 2006; 213(3):218-223. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
22. Braathen L R. Immunomodulatory topical drugs. Abstracts of the 12th Congress of the EADV, 15-18 October 2003, Barcelona, Spain EADV, vol.17 suppl.3, Nov 2003, 1
23. Gross G. Clinical aspects and therapy of anogenital warts and papilomavirus - associated lesions. Hautarzt, 2001 Jan;52(1), 6-17. [Article in German] [PubMed]
24. Wigbeis B, Luger T, Metze D. Imiquimod: a new treatment possibility in bowenoid papulosis, Hautarzt, 2001 Feb;52(2):128-31. [Article in German] [PubMed]
25. Wade TR, Kopf AW, Ackerman AB. Bowenoid papulosis of genitalia. Arch Dermatol. 1979 Mar;115(3):306, 1979 [PubMed]
27. Lloyd KM. Multicentric pigmented Bowens disease of the groin. Arch Dermatol. 1970 Jan;101(1):48-51. [PubMed]
Accepted for publication: 23 February 2011
Issue published online: 15 May 2012
back to Online Journal