Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2011, vol. 17, book 2
Subject Collection: Oral and Dental Medicine
Online date: December 28, 2011
J of IMAB 2011; 17(2):140-142
ORAL HEALTH IN PATIENTS WITH LIVER DISEASES
Vladimir Panov*, Assya Krasteva**
* Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Varna, ** Department of Oral Imaging and Oral Diagnostic, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
In most of the patients with chronic hepatitis B and C, the disease progression to liver cirrhosis and a liver transplantation is necessary.
Untreated oral diseases (including dental problems) can lead to infections and sepsis and may cause many complications in transplanted patients and a prerequisite dental evaluation is usually recommended for potential organ transplant candidates.
Our aim was to determine the dental status in patients with chronic liver disease, knowing that liver transplant will be a life choices.
Key words: dental status, liver disease, future transplantation, oral health.
1. Anand A., Pardal P, Sachdev V. Dental caries and periodontal disorders in chronic liver disease. Medical Journal Armed Forces India. 2001 Jan;57(1):26-30.
2. Barbero P, Garzino Demo MG, Milanesio M, Ottobrelli A. The dental assessment of the patient waiting for a liver transplant. Minerva Stomatol, 1996 Oct;45(10):431-439. (Article in Italian) [PubMed]
3. Coates EA, Brennan D, Logan RM, Goss AN, Scopacasa B, Spencer AJ, et al. Hepatitis C infection and associated oral health problems. Aust Dent J, 2000 Jun;45(10):108-114. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Guggenheimer J, Eghtesad B, Close JM, Shay C, Fung JJ. Dental health status of liver transplant candidates. Liver Transpl. 2007 Feb;13(2):280-286. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
5. Krastev Z., A. Kisselova, R. Kolarov. In: Oral medicine, I. Sapunjiev EOOD, Sofia, 340-350 (in Bulgarian).
6. Novacek G, Plachetzky U, Pötzi R, Lentner S, Slavicek R, Gangl A, Ferenci P. Dental and periodontal disease in patients with cirrhosis - role of etiology of liver disease. J Hepatol. 1995 May;22(5):576-582. [PubMed]
- Download FULL TEXT (PDF 128 KB)
Please cite this article as: Panov Vl. Krasteva A. ORAL HEALTH IN PATIENTS WITH LIVER DISEASES. J of IMAB 2011; 17(2):140-142. doi:10.5272/jimab.2011172.140
back to current issue >