Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2011, vol. 17, book 2
Subject Collection:Oral and Dental Medicine
Page: 114 - 119
Online date: September 14, 2011
J of IMAB 2011; 17(2):114-119
SURGICAL UNCOVERING AND STIMULATION OF PHYSIOLOGICAL ERUPTION OF PALATALLY IMPACTED MAXILLARY CANINES: Case reports
Miroslava Yordanova1, Svetlana Yordanova1, B. Vladimirov2
1) Department of Orthodontics, 2) Department of Maxillofacial Surgery,
Faculty of Dentistry, MedicalUniversity, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Introduction. The orthodontist treating patients with palatally impacted canines usually strives to build a complex treatment plan, based on uncomplicated and biological orthodontic and surgical techniques.
The aim of the present report was to demonstrate by case reports the potential of the open surgical technique for stimulation of physiological eruption of palatally impacted canines.
Material and methods. Three patients aged 13 to 20 years with various degrees of unilateral and bilateral palatal impaction of maxillary canines were managed by the described technique.
Results and discussion. All canines underwent autonomous eruption after all soft- and hard-tissue obstructions on their paths were removed.
Conclusion. The described method of surgical uncovering and autonomous eruption created conditions for biological eruption of the palatally impacted canines into the oral cavity and facilitated considerably the subsequent orthodontic treatment for their proper alignment in the dental arch.
Key words: palatally impacted canines, surgical exposure, autonomous eruption.
1. Moyers RE: Handbook of Orthodontics 4th ed. Chicago,IL, Year book Medical Publisher 1988.
2. Becker A., Smith P, Behar R. The incidence of anomalous maxillary lateral incisors in relation to palatally-displaced cuspids. Angle Orthod. 1981 Jan;51(1):24-29. [PubMed]
3. Ericson S, Kurol J. Radiographic examination of ectopically erupting maxillary canines. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1987 Jun;91(6):483-492. doi: 10.1016/0889-5406(87)90005-9 CrossRef] [PubMed]
4. Ericson S, Kurol J. Early treatment of palatally erupting maxillary canines by extraction of the primary canines. Eur J Orthod 1988 Nov;10(4):283-245. [PubMed]
5. Bedoya M., Park JH. A review of the diagnosis and management of impacted maxillary canines. J Am Dent Assoc. 2009 Dec;140(12):1485-1493. [PubMed]
6. Kokich VG Preorthodontic uncovering and autonomous eruption of palatally impacted maxillary canines. Semin Orthod. 2010;16: 205-211.
7. Parkin N, Benson PE, Thind B, Shah A. Open versus closed surgical exposure of canine teeth that are displaced in the roof of the mouth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Oct 8;(4):CD006966. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006966.pub2 CrossRef] [PubMed]
8. Swart RJ., Kiekens RM, Berge SJ, Kuijpers-Jagtman AM. Orthodontics in general practice. 2. Treatment of eruption failures. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2007 Oct; 114(10): 416-22. [Article in Dutch] [PubMed]
9. Shafi I. No evidence to support one surgical technique over the other for the management of palatally displaced canines. Evid Based Dent. 2008;9(4):111. doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6400613 CrossRef] [PubMed]
10. Schmidt AD, Kokich VG. Periodontal response to early uncovering, autonomous eruption and orthodontic alignment of palatally impacted maxillary canines. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007 Apr;131(4):449-455 doi:10.1016/j.ajodo.2006.04.028 CrossRef] [PubMed]
11. Frank CA., Long M. Periodontal concerns associated with the orthodontic treatment of impacted teeth. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2002 Jun;121(6): 639-49. doi:10.1067/mod.2002.122396 CrossRef] [PubMed]
12. Kokich VG, Mathew DS. Impacted teeth: Orthodontic and surgical conciderations. In: McNamara Jr, editor. Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics. Ann Arbor (Mich): Needham Press; 2001: 395-422.
13. Ngan P, Hornbrook R., Weaver B. Early timely management of ectopically erupting maxillary canines. Semin Orthod 2005; 11: 152-163.
14. Frank Ch A. Treatment options for impacted teeth. J Am Dent Assoc. 2000 May;131(5):623-632. [PubMed]
- Download FULL TEXT (PDF 932 KB)
Please cite this article as: Yordanova M, Yordanova S, Vladimirov B. SURGICAL UNCOVERING AND STIMULATION OF PHYSIOLOGICAL ERUPTION OF PALATALLY IMPACTED MAXILLARY CANINES: Case reports. J of IMAB 2011; 17(2):114-119. doi: 10.5272/jimab.2011172.114
back to current issue >