Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2011, vol. 17, book 1
Subject Collection: Medicine
Online date: December 29, 2011
J of IMAB 2011; 17(1):197-199
PREDICTORS OF SUSTAINED VIROLOGICAL RESPONSE (SVR) TO PEGYLATED INTERFERON ALPHA (PEG-IFN α) AND RIBAVIRIN (RBV) IN PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC HEPATITIS C INFECTED WITH GENOTYPE 1.
Krasimir Antonov, Dejan Jelev, A. Ivanova, Zahariy Krastev
Clinic of Gastroenterology, St. Ivan Rilsky University Hospital, Sofia, Bulgaria
Objective: The combined PEG-IFN alpha and RBV therapy achieved SVR in 40 - 50% of patients infected with HCV genotype 1. Identification of virological and host paramemeters predicting SVR will be useful to tailor therapy.
Methods: 71 patients with chronic HCV genotype 1 infection were treated with PEG-IFN alpha2a and RBV for 12 months. Predictors of SVR were analyzed by using nonparametric correlation test.
Results: SVR was found in 57 / 71 of subjects (80,3%). The significant differences in baseline level of HCV RNA, sex, age, baseline ALT and present of liver cirrhosis between the patients with or without SVR were not found. Correlation was not proved between SVR and all these factors when they were analyzed separately. High correlation was found between serum levels of HCV RNA at the end of 3-th month therapy (Early Virological Response) and SVR (r=0,759; p=0,011).
Conclusion: The viral response during the first 3 months of PEG-IFN alpha and RBV therapy is the strongest independent predictor among the all baseline viral and host predictive factors for achieving of SVR.
Key words: HCV, HCV genotype 1, PEG-IFN, Ribavirin, predictors.
- Download FULL TEXT (PDF - 145 KB)
1. Lavanchy D. The global burden of hepatitis C. Liver Int. 2009 Jan;29 Suppl 1:74–81. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
2. Shepard CW, Finelli L, Alter MJ. Global epidemiology of hepatitis C virus infection. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005 Sep;5(9):558–567. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
3. Afdhal NH. The natural history of hepatitis C. Semin Liver Dis. 2004; 24 Suppl 2:3–8. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
4. Thompson CJ, Rogers G, Hewson P, Wright D, Anderson R, Cramp M, et al. Surveillance of cirrhosis for hepatocellular carcinoma: systematic review and economic analysis. Health Technol Assess. 2007 Sep;11(34):1–206. [PubMed]
5. Ghany MG, Strader DB, Thomas DL, Seef LB. Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C: an update. Hepatology. 2009 Apr;49(4):1335–1374. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
6. Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver (APASL) Hepatitis C Working Party, McCaughan GW, Omata M. Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver consensus statements on the diagnosis, management and treatment of hepatitis C virus infection. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007 May;22(5) 615-633. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
7. Sarrazin C, Berg T, Ross RS, Schirmacher P, Wedemeyer H, Neumann U, et al. Prophylaxis, diagnosis and therapy of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection: the German guidelines on the management of HCV infection. Z Gastroenterol. 2010 Feb;48(2):289-351. Epub 2010 Jan 29. [Article in German] [PubMed] [CrossRef]
8. Manns MP, Wedemeyer H, Cornberg M. Treating viral hepatitis C: efficacy, side effects, and complications. Gut 2006 Sep:55(9):1350-1359. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
9. European Association for the Study of the Liver. EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines: Management of Hepatitis C Virus Infection. J Hepatology. 2011 Aug;55(2):245-64. Epub 2011 Mar 1. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
10. Manns MP, McHutchison JG, Gordon SC, Rustgi VK, Shiffman M, Reindollar R, et al. Peginterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin compared with interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin for initial treatment for chronic hepatitis C: a randomized trial. Lancet. 2001 Sep 22;358(9286):958-65. [PubMed] [CrossRef]
11. Fried MW, Shiffman ML, Reddy KR, Smith C, Marinos G, Goncales FL, et al. Peginterferon alfa-2a plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infection. N Engl J Med. 2002 Sep 26;347(13):975-982. [PubMed]
12. Hadziyannis SJ, Sette H Jr, Morgan TR, Balan V, Diego M, Marcellin P, et al. Peginterferon-alpha2a and ribavirin combination therapy in chronic hepatitis C: a randomized study of treatment duration and ribavirin dose. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Mar 2;140(5):346-355. [PubMed]
13. Mangia A, Minerva N, Bacca D, Cozzolongo R, Ricci GL, Carretta V, et al. Individualized treatment duration for hepatitis C genotype 1 patients: a randomized controlled trial. Hepatology. 2008 Jan; 47(1): 43-50. [PubMed] [CrossRef].
Please cite this article as: Antonov Kr, Jelev D, Ivanova A, Krastev Z. PREDICTORS OF SUSTAINED VIROLOGICAL RESPONSE (SVR) TO PEGYLATED INTERFERON ALPHA (PEG-IFN α) AND RIBAVIRIN (RBV) IN PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC HEPATITIS C INFECTED WITH GENOTYPE 1. J of IMAB. 2011; 17(1):197-199. doi:10.5272/jimab.2011171.197
back to Online Journal