Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers)
Publisher: Peytchinski, Gospodin Iliev
ISSN: 1312 773X (Online)
Issue: 2011, vol. 17, book 1
Subject Collection: Medicine
Online date: 05 August, 2011
J of IMAB 2011; 17(1):142-145
ANKLE-BRACHIAL INDEX AND LDL-RECEPTOR GENE IN ASYMPTOMATIC SEVERE HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIA
Clinic of Cardiology, MedicalUniversity, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
The issue with the different levels of ankle-brachial index, as screening for LDL-receptor defective gene in newly detected asymptomatic severe hypercholesterolemia is less studied, but quite interesting. There have not been any studies on ankle-brachial index in patients with severe hypercholesterolemia in Bulgaria. Aim: To examine the difference between patients with severe hypercholesterolemia, who are carriers and non-carriers of LDL-R defective gene, with respect to their structural (ankle-brachial index) characteristics of arterial wall. Methods and materials: 60 patients with documented severe hypercholesterolemia >7.5 mmol/l satisfying the Simon-Broom criteria for clinically established and probable Familial Hypercholesterolemia were studied. All of the patients had a negative stress echocardiography and not known coronary artery disease. The laboratory used was the Clinical Laboratory at the Medical University Plovdiv. The total cholesterol and triglycerides were measured with enzyme-colorimetry and cholesterol in high density lipoprotein and cholesterol in low density lipoprotein with direct automatic analyses. Apolipoproteins were calculated by immunoturbodimetric method. The biochemical analyzer Konelab 60i was used in all the measurements. Results: According to whether there were or were not molecular defects, patients were assigned to two groups: carriers (11 patients, 18 %) and non-carriers (49 patients, 82 %).There was a statistically significant difference (p < 0.001) in the age distribution of patients, carriers and non-carriers of molecular defects. This conclusion was confirmed by the calculated mean age in both patient groups. The mean age of non-carriers was 48.20 ± 0.47 years, the mean age of carriers - 45.77 ± 0.36 years. There were no statistical differences in the sex distribution in the study sample (χ2 = 0.05; p > 0.05). We found no statistically significant difference between non-carriers and carriers with respect to body mass index (25.30 ± 0.40 vs 24.63 ± 0.45, respectively, t = 0.50; p > 0.05). There was not a statistically significant difference in levels of total cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL-cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol between carries (p>0.05). The cholesterol x years. score was significantly higher in the carries (440.36 ± 0.25 mmol-y/L), than in the non-carries (390.30 ± 0.07 mmol-y/L). We found a significantly lower ABI in the carriers vs. non-carriers (p<0.001) (Table 2). This significant difference was confirmed after adjustment for age and gender (p<0.05) Conclusion: The major findings of the present study are that ABI is significantly lower in carriers of the LDL-R defective gene vs. non-carriers.
Key words: hypercholesterolemia, ankle-brachial index, peripheral vascular disease, low- density lipoprotein receptor, molecular biological analysis.
- Download FULL TEXT (PDF - 141 KB)
1.Lusis AJ, Mar R, Pajukanta P. Genetics of atherosclerosis. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2004; 5:189-218 [CrossRef] [PubMed]
2. Marks D, Thorogood M, Neil HA, Humphries SE. A review on the diagnosis, natural history and treatment of familial hypercholesterolemia. Atherosclerosis 2003; May;168(1):1-14. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
3. Rader DJ. Noninvasive Procedures for Subclinical Atherosclerosis Risk Assessment. Am J Med, 1999 Aug 23;107(2A):25S-27S. [PubMed]
4. Hooi JD, Stoffers HE, Kester AD, Kester AD, van Ree JW, Knottnerus JA. Peripheral arterial occlusive disease: prognostic value of signs, symptoms, and the ankle-brachial pressure index. Med Decis Making. 2002 Apr;22(2):99-107. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
5. Management of peripheral arterial disease (PAD). TransAtlantic Inter- Society Consensus (TASC). Int Angiol. 2000 Mar;19(Suppl 1):I-XXIV, 1-304. [PubMed]
6. Doobay AV, Anand SS. Sensitivity and Specificity of the Ankle-Brachial Index to Predict Future Cardiovascular Outcomes. A Systematic Review. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005 Jul;25(7):1463-9. Epub. May 2005. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
7. Duprez D. HOPE brings hope for the use of the ankle-brachial index as cardiovascular risk marker. Eur Heart J. 2004 Jan;25(1):1-2. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
8. Sacks D, Bakal CW, Beatty PT, Becker GJ, Cardella JF, Raabe RD, et al. Position statement of the use of the ankle-brachial index in the evaluation of patients with peripheral vascular disease: a consensus statement developed by the standards division of the Society of Cardiovascular & Interventional Radiology. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2002 Apr;13(4):353. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
9. Zheng ZJ, Sharret AR, Chambless LE, Rosamond WD, Nieto FJ, Sheps DS, et al. Associations of ankle-brachial index with clinical coronary heart disease, stroke and preclinical carotid and popliteal atherosclerosis:The atherosclerosis risk in communites (ARIC) study. Atherosclerosis 1997 May;131(1):115-25. [PubMed]
10. McDermott MM, Liu K, Criqui MH, Ruth K, Goff D, Saad MF, et al. Ankle-brachial index and subclinical cardiac and carotid disease: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Am J Epidemiol. 2005 Jul;162(1):33-41. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
11. Newman AB, Shemanski L, Manolio TA, Cushman M, Mittelmark M, Polak JF, et al. Ankle-arm index as a predictor of cardiovascular disease and mortality in the cardiovascular health study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999 Mar;19(3):538-45. [PubMed]
12. Ганев ВС. Молекулно-генетична хетерогенност на предекспозицията към атеросклероза в България. [PhD Dissertation]. Medical University, 2003: Sofia: 68-70. (in Bulgarian).
13. Боев Т, Китова Л, Киров С, Ганев В. Генетична хетерогенност на LDLR ген при пациенти с хиперлипидемия и клинично манифестирана исхемична болест на сърцето. Българска Кардиология 1998: 4: 27-32. (in Bulgarian).
14. Хорварт АД. Молекулна хетерогенност на LDLR и АпоB гените при здрави и пациенти с хиперхолестеролемия в България. [PhD Dissertation]. Medical University, 2001: Sofia 68-69. (in Bulgarian).
15. Mihaylov VA, Horvarth AD, Savov AS, Kurshelova EF, Paskaleva ID, Goudev AR, et al. Screening for spot mutations in the LDL receptor gene in Bulgarian patients with severe hypercholesterolemia. J Hum Genet 2004; 49(4):173-176. [PubMed]
16. Владимирова-Китова Л, Бояджиева А. Глезен-ръка индекс при асимптомна изразена хиперхолестеролемия Българска Кардиология 2007;117-123. 32 (in Bulgarian)
17. Владимирова-Китова Л. Неинвазивни техники за оценка на атеросклерозата обзор. Българска Кардиология 2006;12:12-20. 32 (in Bulgarian)
18. Станева МСт, Стайков Ив, Гадева Св, Карамфилов К, Димитров Н, Чирков Ал. Дебелина интима-медия на екстракраниалните каротидни артерии при болни с и без исхемична болест на сърцето. Диагностичен и терапевтичен ултразвук 2005;1:42-48. (in Bulgarian)
19. Станева МСт, Петров И, Карамфилов К, Димитров Н, Чирков Ал. Честота на екстракраниалната каротидна патология при болни с исхемична болест на сърцето. Българска кардиология 2006;1: 21-25. (in Bulgarian)
20. Vladimirova-Kitova L, Terzieva D, Marinov B. Intima-media thickness and flow-mediated vasodilation in asymptomatic subjects with newly detected severe hypercholesterolemia. Echocardiography 2009 Oct;26(9): 1060-1068. Epub 2009 Jun 17. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
21. L. Vladimirova-Kitova, I. Manukov, R. Stefanov, F. Nikolov. Dеtermination of intima- media thickness of the carotid artery by manual and automatic method. Bulgarian Journal of Cardiology 2006;2:63- 68.
22. Simova I, Denchev S. Endothelial functional and structural impairment in patients with different degree of coronary artery disease development. Heart Vessels. 2008 Sep;23(5):305-15. [PubMed]
23. Mortality in treated heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: implications for clinical management. Scientific Steering Committee on behalf of the Simon Broome Register Group. Atherosclerosis. 1999 Jan;142(1):105-12. [PubMed].
Please cite this article as: L. Vladimirova-Kitova. ANKLE-BRACHIAL INDEX AND LDL-RECEPTOR GENE IN ASYMPTOMATIC SEVERE HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIA. J of IMAB 2011; 17(1):142-145. doi: 10.5272/jimab.2011171.142
back to Online Journal